Today's rat mood: flat-out WEIRD

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SqueakingJellybean

Mission Control -- All is ratness
Do your beans ever just go weird for a day or so?

This morning, our usually social trio would barely leave their DCN for playtime. One or both of us (The Mr. and I) are in the room with them all day, most times, or at least for several hours in the morning and again at night. Today, Oleksii refused to leave his favourite hammock; Dolly refused to come out until I offered her the correct housecoat sleeve, and Lynda had to be coaxed out. Even then, she ran straight up to the roof of the second DCN and would not come down without treats and conversation. Dolly was out for a minute or two, then zoomed right back home.

They're normally pretty excited to come out, but today, not so much. The ladies didn't even touch the forage toy, and they are some of the most food-motivated rats I've ever met.

Their behaviour tends to change some when the weather is crappy, so that might be part of it. They've never been this playtime-resistant, though, so I'm wondering if they're picking up on something I'm not. They're all napping happily together in the big fuzzy honeycomb hammock, and have shown no interest in interacting.

Anyone else's rats go a bit strange periodically? Could you find a cause, or was it just rats being six quirks in a trench coat?

Back