Rat chat ❤️❤️

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phycomantis09

I have 2 boys:
PXL_20230727_140138694.MP.jpg
yeti and voodoo. What about you??

So one of my feeder rats got a tumor recently and I need to know what to do because I’m still a kid I do have money to remove that tumor but since my rats are feeder rats they are likely going to get more tumors that I can’t pay for. also the tumor is non cancerous

Step one is to take your girl to a vet with knowledge of pet rats. You need to find out if it is for sure a mammary tumour, and also if your girl has any other medical concerns (such as undetected respiratory symptoms). How old is she?
If it's clearly a mammary tumour and she's otherwise healthy, surgery will very likely give her the best outcome in terms of lifespan and quality of life. Mammary tumours are typically not malignant, as you suggest, but they keep growing until they immobilize rats and eventually kill them. It is a sad and difficult thing to watch in otherwise healthy rats. So if you can at all afford the surgery, consider it seriously. And don't assume your other rats will also develop tumours simply because they are feeder rats. It's true that intact (non-spayed) females are at greatest risk of developing mammary tumours, but diet also play a crucial role. Avoid high-calorie, high-fat diets in order to lower the risk of your other rats getting such tumours.
The Rat Guide offers sound information and advice about mammary tumours in rats:
https://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/mammary_tumor.phpBut no online advice can replace that of a rat-savvy vet who examines your pet in person. A clear understanding of your pet's overall health status will help guide you towards best decisions regarding her treatment. Best of luck with your girl.
BTW, what is her name?

Back