I just tried feeding meal worms to my ratties and it will never get that image out of my head…

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratsarebeautiful8

I have a leopard gecko and I feed him meal worms so I was curious since I know that rats can eat dead ones so they can eat live ones so I fed them live and they loved it but it was terrifying because the acted like the mealworms were just a piece of food and so they nibbled at them while they were wriggling in pain from being eaten alive and there was goop… but again the ratties loved it and came back for seconds and even stole each others wormies it was frightening just wanted to share this.

Insects just don't feel pain like we do. They don't possess the nerve structures which other animals possess that relay pain to the brain, and they do not possess a true brain to relay it to in the first place. They do have a chemical response to damage, but it's not unlike plants that visibly shrink from touch.

Most importantly, they don't have emotions, so they simply don't respond with fear the way we do. I know it's upsetting to us to watch, because we also possess empathy (well.. most of us), but we're just projecting something onto them that's not there.

We can't really let our emotions get tangled up in what our babies really do need, if we want them to live long and healthy lives. But you can buy frozen or dried mealworms if it bothers you to watch. This is what their diet would look like in the wild, and it gives a more complete nutritional balance.

This article may help you get a better grasp on the whole thing. Sorry it's about cockroaches. It's just the more explanatory ones I've found on the subject, but it applies to mealworms as well. And trust me, I know what you mean.. I just give them to my babies and walk away now. I find it distasteful but they seem to love it so much, and it's very natural and healthy behavior and diet.

https://www.cockroachzone.com/do-cockroaches-feel-pain-when-they-die/

Thankyou for this info no one really talks about feeding insects to their rats normally I think people dont like to talk about it but it’s good to hear I’m not alone :) thxs for the info

Back