Fast intros?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashlynn

I apologize if this is the wrong spot to place this, but I have four male rats, my oldest who is 2yrs and 5mths, his brother has unfortunately passed just last month, and I have two that are around a year maybe a little older give or take. I had introduced the oldest boys with the two younger and they did amazing for intros. However I have gotten a male rat who's been alone most of his life who is around two years. They have been living in a dcn, my three up top and Zeus, the new one, below. They've met a few times and last night I had began intros. It went like a dream, so this morning I placed them into my next cage up. They stayed there all day and again, a literal dream so I decided to completely clean the cage and placed them in with it all set up and both floors. They seem to be doing ok but I just don't know if it's too good to be true for it to go this well? Any thoughts?

It's entirely possible they all just get along incredibly well, some rats are just more accepting than others. Keep a close eye to be safe but it might just be an amazing group of rats you have.

It's entirely possible they all just get along incredibly well, some rats are just more accepting than others. Keep a close eye to be safe but it might just be an amazing group of rats you have.
Thank you so much, I've just never really heard a group of rats getting along so fast. I mean, the introduction I did before was fast but not like this. I will definitely keep a close eye because Zeus has never really had any interactions with other rats for so long, and he's just so jumpy at little things. None of my boys are aggressive at all, the sweetest things. Again thank you so much!

I also wanted to add that he is just kind of off sleeping by himself now that they are in the actual cage, so I don't know if that could mean anything, or if it's just because he's so used to it? They haven't been in for too long yet, maybe just a few hours at most so maybe he's just kinda chilling? The others are off doing their thing but they're definitely sticking a bit closer to each other rather than bothering him so would that be a good thing? Sorry for all the questions and such, I'm just a tad worried he's not as ready as he may seem, though he very well may be. As I said, they really had no scuffles, just a bit of dominance grooming from the oldest. Other than that just nice cuddles for about a day as well as all night.

I also wanted to add that he is just kind of off sleeping by himself now that they are in the actual cage, so I don't know if that could mean anything, or if it's just because he's so used to it? They haven't been in for too long yet, maybe just a few hours at most so maybe he's just kinda chilling? The others are off doing their thing but they're definitely sticking a bit closer to each other rather than bothering him so would that be a good thing? Sorry for all the questions and such, I'm just a tad worried he's not as ready as he may seem, though he very well may be. As I said, they really had no scuffles, just a bit of dominance grooming from the oldest. Other than that just nice cuddles for about a day as well as all night.
It's totally fine if he's off alone as long as no fights are happening and they aren't keeping him from the food and water. If you think of them similar to humans, some are just more introverted/independent and he could still just be getting used to it, the others are probably still getting used to him too. As for the fast intros, I've had a few myself including them being fully housed after the first meeting(I was new still so I don't recommend that for everyone, things could have gone bad).

Don't apologize for asking questions, I encourage it! It means you're trying to do the best for your critters and I adore that.

It's totally fine if he's off alone as long as no fights are happening and they aren't keeping him from the food and water. If you think of them similar to humans, some are just more introverted/independent and he could still just be getting used to it, the others are probably still getting used to him too. As for the fast intros, I've had a few myself including them being fully housed after the first meeting(I was new still so I don't recommend that for everyone, things could have gone bad).

Don't apologize for asking questions, I encourage it! It means you're trying to do the best for your critters and I adore that.
Thank you so much, you guys have been really helpful! They are still doing super great eating and drinking together so no problems there. He is definitely more introverted, nothing wrong with that tho as I am myself lol. But anyways havea wonderful day and thank you so much!

Thank you so much, you guys have been really helpful! They are still doing super great eating and drinking together so no problems there. He is definitely more introverted, nothing wrong with that tho as I am myself lol. But anyways havea wonderful day and thank you so much!
I hope you have a great day too, I'm glad I could be of some help and I'm thrilled to hear that they're all getting along! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

Back