rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. J

Do my new babies have megacolon :(!

My new babies are looking a bit round and i have felt a few hard poop while cleaning their cage. Im so scared but i can’t entirely tell if they have megacolon or look normal. I believe the rats are around 5-6 weeks old.
  2. T

Hello! Help with cages please

What cages would you recommend for a first time rat owner with two rats? I’m not sure which one would be best, so I thought it’d be good to ask someone here :). Also, do you happen to have any spare cages that you’re not using? If not, that’s perfectly fine, just thought I’d ask that as well 😅
  3. D

Help - health query

Hi all. Myself and my partner have just gotten our first rats, 2 females called Rogue and Artemis! My partner had a rat when she was younger but this is my first time. We got them on Saturday 5th March and they are absolutely amazing! We were told to expect sneezing as it's a sign of stress...
  4. T

Why did my rat die at only 1.5 years?

My rat Rhaegar just passed away last night. (before i continue, this does get a bit gruesome so just a warning.) I went to feed my rats, (there was originally 3 sisters, Rhaegar, Drogon, and Viserys) and only drogon and viserys came out of their sleeping spot for food. i immediately imagined...
  5. SookieObiRonny&Bear

play area troubles...advice needed!

I have four rats, and I know that it's good for them to have at least an hour of time out of their cage every day. In the past, I would simply let them run around my room. However this proved to be problematic, as they would chew through my bedding, curtains, and the clothes and bags in my...
  6. S

Hello from Sam and baby

Hello, my name is Sam and I’m a wildlife rehaber here in Miami Fl. The place I work does not take non native animals such as palm/roof rats. We got in an orphaned baby roof rat and I decided to take him home instead of letting him be euthanized. I have have had him/her for a little over a week...
  7. B

Lice and Pinworm treatment

Recently took my 2 month old male rat to vet for pinworms and lice. Treated him and my 4 other boys with prescribed ivermectin liquid 1mg/ml diluted w/ 9mL of veggie oil. One more treatment 10 days from now. I've washed all fleece with hot water cycle and vinegar and dried on higher heat...
  8. Pandora

I think he finally likes it here

Took about a month but I finally intergrated my new boy and he is loving it. Cookie and Bean have become his dads and the other one, well, they allow each other to exist.
  9. R

How do I convince parents to allow rat

Hello, I have been graced with the fantastic opportunity to take care of a rat for breaks including summer. However, my parents despise rats and think that that people will judge them for having one. How do I respectfully convince them to allow rats into the house.
  10. S

Amoxicillin dosage for my rats

My rats have a URI and so I'm going to give them amoxicillin. Moody is 66g and Ollie is 83g. I know the dosage is 20-30mg/kg and the concentration of the amoxicillin is 250mg. Ive tried putting this info into a calculator but im getting weird numbers. If anyone could help me figure out how much...
  11. kalliedoss2022

New rats not going to well

We got 2 new 5 months old male rats yesterday. They poop every time we take them out of the cage. They don’t like to be taken out of their cage and they will grab onto the cage wires when I try to take them out. Help please their transitions is not moving as smoothly as it should and I need...
  12. G

Help please! my rats depressed

Hi, I am so sorry for the long post but I really really need some advice, my old man blue died 2 Sundays ago I did know this was going to happen as he was well past his age so it was expected, but my baby boy buddy 2yrsold died on sunday a straight week after blue died, I was soo confused and...
  13. S

Why is my Pet Rat attacking sick Rat?

I have two pet rats. Daisy and Charmander. On November 26, 2018 Daisy gave birth to Charmander and they have been best friends ever since. Daisy is a year and 4 months old and Charmander is a 11 month old neutered Male. Recently Daisy was diagnosed by the Vet with an inner ear infection. She...
  14. W

Having problems introducing young rats to older rats

About 2 months ago, I got 2 young rats. I've been trying to get my 3 other rats (almost all a year old) with them comfortably, but they keep trying to (and have) hurt my younger ones. When I've placed them all into a smaller space, they didn't have any issues with fighting. Even during their...
  15. S

Please help? Ear mites??

EDIT: I also read that sometimes a rat diet high in protein can cause scabbing? Is there a chance that the scabbing is not from mites? I haven't been in contact with other rats. I don't have any other animals. I use fleece bedding and I clean religiously because I have severe asthma. Everything...
  16. A

Rats dying suddenly??

Hello last night my husband and I came home and found one of our babies(Uno) (Disturbing warning) eating the body of his brother (Nico.) After the initial shock and anger we realized (Nico) had died of something else and that the brother (Uno) eating him was a natural response to death and...
  17. M

Three Lovely Boys Need a Home in Southwest Florida!

Unfortunately, I have to move across the country to the coast and I can't bring my three sweet boys with me as I was originally planning :( and I need someone who can take them ASAP! They HAVE to stay together! They all have very close bonds and I cannot take the idea of them parting from each...
  18. C

Re-homing two baby rats

We’re looking to re-home two rats, about 2 months old. One is a dumbo (male) and the other is a hooded (female). My daughter has discovered she’s very allergic. We'd be willing to drive the rats with two separate cages/supplies up to a 60 mile radius of Raleigh, NC to a new home. We were going...
  19. M

Chronic Porphyrin

Hi Everyone, first thread here! So I have two male rats (Bernie and Fievel) who are around 9 months old. One morning around 1.5 months ago I noticed some Porphyrin in his right eye and nostril. I took him to the vet, who told me is was most likely an infection in that eye and prescribed...
  20. Kelsey Parker

Meet Rei-Rei! My beige little fattie rattie.

Here is sweet little (huge) Rei-Rei. She is either vision impaired or fully blind. Age 1.5 rescue.
Back