aggression

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. G

Scared rat during intro (carrier method)

Hi, we are introducing our 1.5yr old Mac to our group of three rats (9months to 1year old) (all male) after his cage mate died. We have been using the carrier method and the first stage seemed to go well as this morning they were all snuggled up together after some aggression from Ted (one of...
  2. M

Sudden aggression from older male

I have a 2 yr 2 mo unneutered male named Rupert and two 1 yr 9 mo spayed females named Bonnie and Nina who are sisters. They met Rupert 6 months ago. Introductions went great, everything perfect for a while. After a couple months Rupert would occasionally get nasty with them, like really...
  3. Pandora

I really need help

See post "aggressive attacking #2 tw flesh" for extra details. I'm looking forward a bit and I need some help with whether I should do reintroduction with my boys once Bean's injury heals. I have a feeling they will be living separated for until they die... But i want to try. Whenever they had...
  4. Pandora

Agressive attacking #2 tw flesh

So this just happened, or at least I just found it....... This is Bean's "beans" ...... Obviously I'm going to separate him until he heals completely. Mochi doesn't have an issue with the other rats as much as he does with Bean.... I can't afford to get mochi fixed, so I really don't know what...
  5. B

Rat thinks she's pregnant but isn't!?

Hi! I have two female rats, in the last week or so one of them has suddenly had a big behaviour change. She is hoarding all the food and has become very territorial - she's taken one of the shelters in the cage as her den and is nesting. She takes all the bedding and will lash out at the other...
  6. J

Aggression

So my rat Winn started displaying some very aggressive behaviors towards me and his 3 cage mates right after i adopted 3 babies. I have 7 rats now all males, 4 adults (all about 7-8 months) and 3 babies (almost 3 m/o). The adults and babies were kept in separate cages and i have introduced them...
  7. J

Behavioral Issues

Hi, I'm Julia, I have 4 rats, all from the same breeder, in a very large Ferret Nation style cage. My breeder is quite reputable and well known in my area, she's great and breeds amazing healthy rats with great temperaments. However, for about a month now, one of my rats Mick has been...
  8. sweetcherrykai

Sudden Act of Aggression

so i have two fancy rats. I let them chill in my bed with me in the dark. One of them is a nibbler. She nibbles my thighs and toes under the cover. and if i stick my finger through the cage she bites (usually thinking it’s a treat im guessing) but anyway i was laying in bed with her tonight and...
  9. R

Stealing food from cage mates mouth

Hi all, I’ve been looking online, and on the forums on here for some information but with no success, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I have 3 girls - Poppy, 3, and Milly, and Moo, both 6 months. Milly and Moo were introduced to Poppy when they were 8 weeks old...
  10. E

Aggressive Rats

Hey there, my husband and I have 3 girls of our own (Kitai, Ana and Tali) and all of them have become EXTREMELY aggressive, lunge biting, biting threw the cage, attacking when we try to change food and give them fresh water. We are at our wits end with them and to be honest it's breaking our...
  11. ViciousCurse

General Rat Behavior Questions

I'm posting this thread for various questions I have. All of which are behavioral. I didn't want to post two or three threads, so I was going to make a master post. New Rescues: Background: I've had a pair of (presumably) brothers who turned a year old in December and are in great health. They...
  12. A

Sudden Aggressive Behavior

Hi everyone, I have 2 female, un-spayed rats (Echo and Henni) who are both a little over 2 years old. They've been living together for about a year and a half and haven't had issues with each other aside from the occasional overly-intense grooming. Tonight I noticed that Henni is biting on to...
  13. Cheyenne

Aggressive Rat

Hey guys! New member and first time poster. A little background, When I met my boyfriend over a year ago he had 5 rats. Two older feeder boys he took in with his ex, and three baby boys. His ex has the two big boys and we have the initially VERY timid baby’s (Puar, Mickey, Kush). I’ve been...
  14. J

Intact male aggression towards neutered male

i have two rats who are about 11-12 months old now. They are littermates and have lived together all their lives. I adopted them when they were about 6 months old. One of them, Emile, started to get very hormonal and human aggressive so I decided to have him neutered. The procedure went great...
  15. C

Rescue Rats from Hoarder Situation

Hi everyone! I'm in dire need of help. I've had a pair of rats before that were shy at first but were young and fairly easy to tame. My local shelter has just received over 80 rats, adults and juveniles. Thankfully other rescues have stepped in to help take some of the rats but they really only...
  16. O

I just had to separate my two 8 month old rats, I don’t know what to do and need advice ASAP!

Hi, This might be long so I’ll put a TL;DR at the end of it. I do have a slight suspicion to what may be causing Loki to act out the way he is. After giving my two rats, Loki and Obi a bath today after finding mites, everything was fine for the first half an hour or so before Loki’s attitude...
  17. H

Aggressive Rat During Intoductions

So, I’ve been trying to introduce my two babes and my older rat together. I’ve been following all the intoduction steps and so far, everything has gone really well. Yesterday was the first time we introduced them. We introduced them in the tub, a neutral place for both parties. The babies were...
  18. Charlize

Undersocialized "nippy" intact male rat adoption

I've been trying to find some more information about undersocialized rats and their potential for aggression to rats upon introductions/eventual living together. There is a 7 month old intact male at the SPCA who was surrendered two months ago due to owner's inability to care for him. He...
  19. E

2 very aggressive rats? HELP?

Need some help with my boys! I have 4 rats altogether but they’re all pretty much in separate cages. I recently adopted two 1 year old males (Ash and Kiwi) in hopes of introducing them to my other rat Dakota (also around 1 year old) who just recently lost his brother. Dakota has not taken to...
  20. R

Rat Help ASAP! Seizure?!

Hi, I am a first time owner! A week ago I took my two boys (brothers) to the vet as there had been some really bad fighting resulting in a bad ear injury for Mike - the vet gave me some gentle painkillers for both of them and said they were too old for it to be hormones now (they're about...
Back