Wine Corks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon_mayhem

My rats (like many) love to destroy things :lol: this of course includes their toys. So i was wondering if it would be okay to let my rats go at a couple of wine corks that have been sitting out (not in the bottle) for a few weeks?

I dont want to end up with intoxicated ratties
Even though it would be a funny sight :giggle:

haha i hope people say its ok. My last boy Harvey's favourite toys were wine corks. He would manage to find them if i hid them. One of my sisters cats also favours them. They drink a lot of wine and have to hide the corks from him for a few days lol. I suppose they are light and easy to throw around.

Id give my current boys wine corks to play with, but corks are becoming a rarity now - most bottles only have screw tops :(

hahaha! i hope they're okay as well!
my last boy used to love them! he would knaw them all up into bedding. i used to make holes through them and hang them from the top of his cage.

Well i hope that their fine because i gave them to my ratties and they shredded them to bits it was quite the sight watching them fight over who got the cork!
Thanks for the replies!!

(i know that if you go to wineries (sp?) all their wine comes with corks on them. Thats where i get all mine :wink: )

I just watched the show How It's Made and it was wine corks... I'd say it's perfectly fine to give them to your rats. :thumbup:

melon_mayhem said:
Well i hope that their fine because i gave them to my ratties and they shredded them to bits it was quite the sight watching them fight over who got the cork!
Thanks for the replies!!

(i know that if you go to wineries (sp?) all their wine comes with corks on them. Thats where i get all mine :wink: )

The world of wine is changing, and natural corks are becoming a thing of the past.

The supply of cork is dwindling, and many wineries have started using synthetic corks. This was a financial move, and synthetic corks are by no means ideal.

The stigma behind screw-cap wine has dissipated much in the last few years. Before only the cheapest of wines came with screw caps, and now much more high end ones do. Natural cork can fail, and ruin wines.... this actually happens much less often with screw-cap wines.

That's right Moon and this is going to be devastating to the cork tree growth. The only thing saving them right now is the fact that they are a financial resource. They can rip the bark off the trees without ever harming them to create wine corks. The cork grows back on the bark. But without the wineries needing them, those trees will be cut down. :(

it really is sad that if on this planet something does not carry any monetary worth it is considered worthless.
what ever happened to the intrinsic value of a living thing?

That's a good reminder Moon. Don't go giving your rats the plastic Cork's from wine bottles lol.. only the ones made from ACTUAL Cork... and giving them the screw caps probably wouldnt be such a good idea too :giggle:

Back