The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Health and General Care > Pregnant...?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
Jherek

Default Pregnant...?

I'm a little confused about three of the new little girls I have (PICTURES SOON OMFACKINGGOD :0). They're very, very tiny. The lady told me they were full grown but they look like babies still- still babies or perhaps dwarfs? But two of them are bulgin' a bit. I don't know if it's because of malnutrition perhaps, if there's something wrong or... are they possibly pregnant? I have no idea what the situation was with them before, all I know is that she had two other rats. She hasn't responded yet- I asked just to be sure, if they've been in contact with males at all in the past few weeks.

Edit- Whoops, Photobucket resized it. Here's a larger one: http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... opyrs8.jpg

So yeah, two of them have this bulge thing going on on their tummies and out to the sides. Please put my mind to ease...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
SQ

Liked 107 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Default Re: Pregnant...?

Pics of each girl from above as well as a tummy pic of each might help.
You can also start weighing them daily.
They may just be chubby, not pregnant.

Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 09-29-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Jherek

Yeah, that was the best I can do for now. The poor girls are terrified and won't let me touch them at all. I don't want to stress them even more right now.

I also considered the baby belly thing, the only reason I'm thinking it's not is because of this group of three, two were sisters, and it's only one of the sisters whose tummy is like this. Also, I'm not positive they're babies- we're kind of thinking the size is due to malnutrition or that they're possibly dwarfs, I don't know.

Also, added a large photo- Photobucket resized the other one. But it won't show up, so I had to link.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 703 Times on 562 Posts
Likes Given: 90

The picture is not loading for me.

Joanne
Find me on Facebook!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
Jherek

How about this? (click to enlarge)

Old 09-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #6
Fidget

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

uh-Oh...

Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #7
Jherek

Omg that isn't an answer that "puts my mind to ease"!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
lilspaz68
RATS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 828 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Young girls can look preggy...my 7 weekers had big round bellies I was sure were preggy bellies. They had been living with their dad, mom and brother until 6 weeks...

They had nice little pot bellies just from being babies. But if you are worried get a scale (I have the Pelouze postal scale, make sure it weighs in grams) and weigh her every day at the same time. Having a scale is invaluable in the end, think of it as an investment. If you do get the weighing thing going I will post Bronwen's weight gain over the last 11 days of her pregnancy...its very apparent to be pregnancy not regular young girl growth.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
Jherek

All the lady said was: "I am not sure they could be dwarfs. As for the rats its just the good food. all my rodents are big and healthy." eh... (ironic considering Sarah and I were commenting on how tiny they were, like they haven't had a proper diet). The bellies are also firm- it's not chubbiness.

I wish I knew if they were dwarfs or not. These two sisters look VERY different from any rats I've ever had. They're very "petite," have larger eyes and smaller, shorter faces. They just look very different. Hmm...

God I hope they just have really bad gas I'm crossing my fingers that they're just really weird lookin babies and not dwarfs, and it's just the baby belliness going on.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #10
lilspaz68
RATS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 828 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Dwarf rats are very very rare and almost impossible to get in Canada. Small rats are genetically small or they were malnourished or failure-to-thrive babies who made it to adulthood, or stunted growth girls like my Sweetie.

Check out Sweetie, in my Sweetie and her Sugarbabies post...she is still teeny, but has gained a LOT since the birth.

Get us pics and we'll see from there.