Modified Ferret Nation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay

Now that my ferret nation is no longer being used by rats I decided to copy another forum member on another forum and modify my cage for the hedgehogs. It took a while to do because I had to dismantle the cage, clean the rat pee and dirt off of it, lug it upstairs, and then reassemble and modify it. It was well worth the effort though. Takes no time at all to clean, even less time for daily maintenance, and it's so cute!

NOTE:
I guess technically this isn't a rat-related post, but since fewer people browse the "pocket pets" section, and this used to be the rats cage, I figured it would be ok to put it here anyway....

myfirstplace001.jpg

myfirstplace002.jpg

myfirstplace003.jpg

myfirstplace004.jpg

This is the full wall of my home office. The tote is Ben's temporary cage... his new one is arriving at my house momentarily and will be assembled tomorrow.
myfirstplace005.jpg

Nice! But you should really have more pics of the hedgies in there. I bet they love it. What did you put on the ramps? I love whomever has their head stuffed in the TP roll.

And where did you get that fleece? My girls would look soo good on that.

Kat, that fleece is from the amazing Dollarama... I believe the blue/green stripes is Shelagh's favourite.

I too wanna see hedgie pics!

It's a homemade bucket wheel and it's roughly 10-12 inches in diametre. There used to be a local hedgehog breeder that makes them. You can find directions to do it yourself online. The frame is PVC pipes, the wheel is a paint-type pail, then attached to the bottom of the bucket with screws is a rollerblade wheel with the barrings... this makes the wheel run VERY smooth. The wheels are the solid type (not the ones with the plastic "spokes" in the middle) and I got an old pair of skates at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for only $5 and stripped all 8 wheels off (SOOOOO much cheaper than buying new ones; plus you get replacements as they will dry out and crack after a while). then you just buy a bolt and some washers and stick it through the pipe and wheel and secure it on to the frame. Voila!

Both hedgehogs have a wheel but Brandy's isn't in her cage at the moment because the bucket has finally cracked beyond repair after 4 years of continuous use. Now I just have to find a new bucket and fix it up for her.

Ben's new cage isn't set up yet but will be in the next day or two. I'm going to need Adam's help to do it as the cage is big and heavy. I'm not sure what the brand or name of the cage is, but it's HUGE. Coated like the FN, all metal, and it's roughly 4 feet long!!!

So you're the hedgehog owner! :D Jo mentioned your name and I didn't get around to PMing you. I've been wanting to learn more about them, heh. It's great seeing they can use FN's. I love those labels. :D

No particular questions come to mind at this moment but I wanted to comment to say how nice everything looks!

Bronwyn said:
So you're the hedgehog owner! :D Jo mentioned your name and I didn't get around to PMing you. I've been wanting to learn more about them, heh. It's great seeing they can use FN's. I love those labels. :D

No particular questions come to mind at this moment but I wanted to comment to say how nice everything looks!

Bron, she did reply in your hedgehog post. :wink2:

:lol:
I think I stopped checking after a few days. Actually my attendance overall on this forum has been lagging other than to stop in and be put in a better mood when I see how the rat train is doing. :D

Sorry Lindsay, I missed it, but will check it now!

Back