Paraphimosis - Poor Goliath :( (rude graphic pics inside)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

This is a first for me for sure. I caught it early but poor Goli has paraphimosis. :(

http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive ... imosis.php

Ideopathic paraphimosis- Head of penis unable to retract into sheath. Penis very red. Rat licking the penis in a frantic manner.

I also saw this on the Figure (case history)
There is a possibility that develpmental delays due to being hand raised may have had something to do with this.

now THIS makes sense since working backwards I think Goli was about 2.5 weeks old when Brittni brought him home but still...poor Goli. :sad-d:

It sounds so easy to lubricate the penis and wheedle it back inside the sheath. I would like to tell you that little pink feller doesn't wheedle well.

I tried Fuciderm (antibiotic wound ointment), petroleum jelly and finally before bed I tried sugar as well as a bit of metacam for discomfort. I let him run on the bed until 3 am (he had a blast...found some stuffing in my comforter he could pull out :roll:)
The swelling seemed to be a bit less after the sugar, but its still Out this morning.
I am going to lube him up really well before I leave because moisture is important. Drying out could lead to serious complications, infection, etc.

Does anyone have any tips for me and Goli? Bedding, different things to try, how to wheedle better (am I doing it wrong?) etc?
How long before I take him to the vet? The 7 week old boy in the case history was treated for 2 days at home and it went back in on its own.

And now the rude pics...the indignity of it all. :giggle:

Paraphimosis-Goliathapr17.jpg

Paraphimosis-Goliath2apr17.jpg

I just left a message for my vet asking if its something to do with his neuter. It cannot be infection as I only took him off the baytril 2 days ago, and he was on it for 3 weeks prior to that.

I am prepared to take him in tomorrow if she thinks its warranted. I gave him a titch more metacam and slathered him with petroleum jelly just now. It actually went back a little easier this time :)

I hope to leave early and maybe I will give him a cool sitz bath tonight in the sink.

awe Goli
he looks so resigned in those pictures ((hugs)) to the Goli monster.

Ive seen this in dogs - but have never encountered it in rats...and from the top of my head I cant think of anything to help... :doh:

Sorry - i hope everything resloves itself without complication

One of my young boys had that but I can't remember who. It didn't last very long, I was able to work it back in.
I sure hope it's nothing serious and he just forgot to put it away. lol

We just had this happen with one of our recently neutered dogs at the shelter....We greased him really good with lubricant.....and kept him quiet...and it went back in...You are right in keeping it slippery and lubricated.......
Hope he feels better soon......

Woohoo, everyone must have been unconsciously sending "Go Away Willy" vibes because it worked!!! :bliss:

He's drinking some ensure and popcorning around the couch as I type :thumbup:

LOL, wow, not something I was expecting to hear on here.

I figured with some lube and some handling it would retreat on its own. ;)

Poor Goliath is getting used to me grabbing him and flipping him over to make sure Willy isn't making a reappearance. :lol:

But he gets belly kisses afterwards :heart:

Oooh I haven't checked him this morning!

*Shelagh scurries to check*

ETA: Still good :mrgreen:

LA said:
Poor guy. Is this something that goes away for ever???

Yes. Its not usually a recurring thing. They have no idea why it happens, but it is more prevalent in dogs and I think it can be more recurring in them.

Do you remember the rat on the other forum, who was found too late? He got infected and had a UTI and was unable to urinate and ended up dying? It can be serious but as you see, catch it early enough and you should be just fine :D

What a relief that you caught it early and helped his Willy to go back in where it belonged!

I was also thinking about that poor little guy that died of complications due to that over the Christmas holidays, so I was relieved that you'd put in a call to the vet just in case.

Whew!! Kisses to Goli. :tumkiss: He looks resigned to the indignity of it all.

lilspaz68 said:
LA said:
Poor guy. Is this something that goes away for ever???

Yes. Its not usually a recurring thing. They have no idea why it happens, but it is more prevalent in dogs and I think it can be more recurring in them.

Do you remember the rat on the other forum, who was found too late? He got infected and had a UTI and was unable to urinate and ended up dying? It can be serious but as you see, catch it early enough and you should be just fine :D

Yes I do, poor sweet thing.

Back