new rat- odd behavior

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elissab123

so i’ve had my two ratties, indie and sadie, for almost two weeks now. sadie’s come out of her shell a lot and is doing fantastic, but indie as of lately has been acting strange. for a while she was just your normal shy rat in a new home. the past couple of days she would be aggressive and bite me and not let go. my fingers are full of cuts from her. she’s currently taking doxycycline twice a day as of about 4 days ago for respiratory issues, could that have anything to do with her behavior? she’s also been over grooming as she has a small bald patch under her ears. these are my first rats and i want to make sure i’m not missing any major issues.
thank you all!

p1011384.jpg

She may be very ill and having difficulty breathing and therefore it could be the problem.
Is the doxy helping? If she is not improving you should ask the vet to add baytril to the doxy as that combination is more effective then doxy by itself. (If she is getting better, you will want to keep her on it for at least 4 to 6 weeks)

Is she eating?
Any other change in her behaviour, in her eating, in the way she walks?
Can you post pics and a video?
Any other changes in your home?
Does she scratch a lot around her head and shoulders? Or have scabs?
Do your hands smell like food or another animal?
Does she hang her head down and open mouth breath?

It is possible that her cagemate is over grooming her

img-0843.jpg

Last edited:
Did the vet prescribe the doxy? I wonder if she might have mites as well. This can cause her to be grumpy and nippy and having bald patches.

stump.png

She may be very ill and having difficulty breathing and therefore it could be the problem.
Is the doxy helping? If she is not improving you should ask the vet to add baytril to the doxy as that combination is more effective then doxy by itself. (If she is getting better, you will want to keep her on it for at least 4 to 6 weeks)

Is she eating?
Any other change in her behaviour, in her eating, in the way she walks?
Can you post pics and a video?
Any other changes in your home?
Does she scratch a lot around her head and shoulders? Or have scabs?
Do your hands smell like food or another animal?
Does she hang her head down and open mouth breath?

It is possible that her cagemate is over grooming her
the doxy has been helping as her breathing sounds clear and she’s
not sneezing a lot anymore. there’s no other odd behavior other than her and her cagemate are very rarely with each other anymore. they used to be cuddled together all the time and now they’re always separated.

feb142014-120.jpg

jan312014-6.jpg

Did the vet prescribe the doxy? I wonder if she might have mites as well. This can cause her to be grumpy and nippy and having bald patches.

it is prescribed and i haven’t thought about mites. i’m afriad to look closer because i know she’ll bite the crap out of me. maybe i’ll take her back to the vet and see if they can find out what exactly the problem is?

feb142014-22.jpg

feb142014-85.jpg

jan312014-40.jpg

Back