young rat suddenly very weak and floppy, please help;;

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imitationangel

Super Junior Member
First and foremost I just wanna say, taking him to the vet isn't an option atm, they're closed until tomorrow morning, and I'm scared he won't make it through the night :(. any help is appreciated ! I first noticed he was slowly crawling along one of the platforms in his cage, so I took him out and found he was very weak and cold, no injuries I could find (He likes to hang upside down and run along the top of the cage, so I was worried he may have fallen). Earlier in the day he was his usual, energetic self, running around, playing with his cage mate, eating and drinking normally. I tried giving him some mushed banana on my finger (his favourite) and he seemed interested, but not strong enough to open his mouth. only rubbed his head on it. after awhile he managed to eat a bit though. now He's just resting. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be, and how to help, please

dirtpelt.jpg

Can you get us a video?
Can you hold his side's to your ears and listen to his breathing?
Can you check to see if he's dehydrated? (Pull up the skin taut over his shoulders and let go to see if the skin falls back in place quickly, a dehydrated rat will take longer for the skin to fall). Look for any signs of dizziness or head tilt (inner ear infection)

algerrat.png

algernon-rat-by-klomonx-d59t3w8.jpg

1655473-10201646133136865-1816692512-n.jpg

What is his breathing like?
Can you post a video?

Post on facebook group Real Rat Lovers Want To Know and message Shelagh Hall on facebook

He may be dehydrated (dehydration kills) so you will need to give him fluids - sub-Q if you know how and have the equipment ...... otherwise feed fluids - such as pedalite or homemade mix for dehydration etc http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8730&highlight=homemadethe same as you would to a tiny baby .... if by syringe (no needle) then 1 drop at a time into the side of his mouth (if too much or straight in it can go down into the lungs) or baby can lick fluid off a new clean tiny paint brush, or off the end of the syringe etc .....

1604768-10151939809564790-1959228222-n.jpg

Last edited:
Can you get us a video?
Can you hold his side's to your ears and listen to his breathing?
Can you check to see if he's dehydrated? (Pull up the skin taut over his shoulders and let go to see if the skin falls back in place quickly, a dehydrated rat will take longer for the skin to fall). Look for any signs of dizziness or head tilt (inner ear infection)

I can try and get a video but he's just lying down now, not moving at all. so I'm sure how much help it'll be :/. I did the skin test, and it did seem quite slow. I'm definitely gonna give him some fluids. Is dehydration common? I've only had rats for about 2-3 years, and never dealt with it before. I keep their waterbottle full at all times, and I saw him at it this morning. so I it just seems odd to me guess ? but at least it's something I can fix if so. (also, there was so head tilt or wobbling)

How is he doing? I don't want to scare you but I had a mouse with a similar situation; cold and weak after playing all day. She died in my arms. You should stay with him and comfort him, just in case. I would heat up a towel in the microwave, make sure it's not to hot, and lay him on it. :(

sam-1299.jpg

sam-1655.jpg

sam-1669.jpg

sam-1801.jpg

sam-1863.jpg

Unfortunately he passed away a few hours ago. Thank you all for your help though, really. I'm not sure what the reason was, the bottle isn't broken and his breathing was clear. I'm going to take his cagemate to the vet tomorrow, just to make sure whatever it was he doesn't also have. Rest in peace 'lil Mackie.

p8040680.jpg

Last edited:
How is he doing? I don't want to scare you but I had a mouse with a similar situation; cold and weak after playing all day. She died in my arms. You should stay with him and comfort him, just in case. I would heat up a towel in the microwave, make sure it's not to hot, and lay him on it. :(

I'm sorry to hear that :( That's almost exactly what happened with him as well. I did end up getting a heating pad and layering some fleece over. and sat with him on my lap until he passed. hopefully he was comfortable in his last moments, that's all I can hope for.

p1011433.jpg

he's had a seizure my rat I got from a local breeder had the same thing. The vet said it was good I brought her in because they just keep on having them

p1011428.jpg

I'm so sorry about Mackie; you made him as comfortable as you could, and I'm sure he appreciated it. I love rats with all my heart, but whenever I'm keeping them I'm walking on pins and needles. We can give them the best care possible, but it feels like sudden things like this happen all the time and sweep them out from under you. :heart: :heart: :heart:

percy-and-scotty.jpg

Back