Pixies PARVO Pets ?????????

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxrats

i got rats from a breeder a few years ago and guess who? I don't want to say a bunch of bad staff but when I contacted Carol Gamble abt problems with my cute rats it didn't work out so good. My best friend ended up getting there dog from there to and it did worse than my rats (dead). Then I read this, its horrible what my buddy went threw and I would wish on noone !!!

image.jpg

Very sorry this happened to that poor puppy
This happens in New Brunswick and in Nova Scotia

Adopt don't shop is so important for many reasons

Adopt from shelters or rescues or pets being rehomed ....
Don't buy - not from stores, or mills, or breeders, or someone 'rehoming' an animal for a large sum

img035-2.jpg

Very sorry this happened to that poor puppy

Adopt don't shop is so important for many reasons

Adopt from shelters or rescues or pets being rehomed ....
Don't buy - not from stores, or mills, or breeders, or someone 'rehoming' an animal for a large sum

So the rescues take your rats back if there's something wrong with it, or help with the vet bills? If so, I will consider ite if I evr have rats again.

henry.jpg

So the rescues take your rats back if there's something wrong with it, or help with the vet bills? If so, I will consider ite if I evr have rats again.

A good rescue will take rats back if the person no longer wants them for any reason .... actually there should be a return clause written into the adoption contract. Rescue rats have also likely gone through a quarantine and care is taken to make sure they are healthy ..... good rescues do it for the animals .... they do not make any profit, actually a good rescue loses money and the people involved do it because they love rats and want to help them. ...... If you are in Ontario, Ottawa Rat Rescue is a good rat rescue

doc.jpg

Last edited:
There are other rat rescues in Ontario and sometimes transport can be arranged to new homes. Ottawa Rat Rescue might be able to suggest a rescue closer to you. I know there is a small animal rescue in the Toronto area that often takes in pet rats.

hb.jpg

hb-128.jpg

RET is Rat Emporium Toronto, it's their Rattery prefix.
QT is quarantine or the practice of keeping new rats in a separate air space for 2-3 weeks to ensure they aren't sick and can possibly infect your resident rats with a highly contagious rat virus etc.
SDA is one of the viruses that is prevalent around North America right now. I have had it a few times in the past taking in rats that either showed no symptoms or very few. this and Sendai virus are highly contagious and usually fatal unless treated.

Most people don't report it, but it hits a LOT of people. SDA is more unmistakeable than most. Some of the affected rats will have a lump in the middle of their throat, some will have swollen faces/eyes bulging out. Almost all rats will be sneezing to crackling to dying suddenly. It's a terrifying experience. I had it in November after picking up 2 baby rats that my friend wanted and needed rescuing desperately. I lost 11 of my own rats in 2 weeks. And the virus damages their overall health and can cause them to be more prone to flareups, lung scarring, and shortened life spans. :(
No one knows of the RMCA site for reporting viruses, and now you can only report confirmed SDA cases, which means a seriously expensive blood test from a rat that has recovered and built up antibodies towards the virus. Most vets won't do it In Canada, since it has to be sent off to a lab in the US.

Back