eye infection?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrilmarie1111

so today i got two rats from craigslist.. Yes i know bad idea...
Well my hairless girl lola is having eye problems.. They are glossy/clear goopy, shes having a hard time seeing and squinting all the time. Plus she has this scapunder her one eye..
Of course the person told me none of their rats have ever been sick and here i am with a sick/infected rat! I am calling vet tomorrow but earliest i can bring lola in is saturday.. Is there anything i can do to help her in the mean time? Heres some pictures sorry there not to good.

It looks like she might have a little something in her eye under the bottom eyelid. Hopefully a nice saline rinse will flush it out.

its a scab if your talking about the little brown circle thing.. I checked her eyes they look clear besides this clear goop crap. I made her an appointment for saturday hopefully the vet can figure whats wrong and its just something small.

Oh yea she might of got something in it.. Not sure i got her like this. Both her eyes are messed up though. i have been wiping her eye with eye drops but they still look horrible.

Update on Lola, we brought her to the vet today found out shes completely blind.. We got antibiotics for her to take away any infection she May have but vet says there is nothing we can do unless shes in pain we can remove her eyes.. Such a shame someone would let her get this bad...

Yes, it is horrible that she has gone through this because of someone's neglect

She should do fine because rats do not have very good eyesight and use their other senses

Glad you got the girls, and getting rats being rehomed on craigslist or other sites is not a bad idea ..... there is nothing wrong with animals that are being rehomed and it is considered a recue

Last edited:
Back