Am I doing the right thing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FattoRatto

I mentioned before I thought Lulu was making a full recovery. Sadly she was not. Overnight she suddenly had a huge deterioration in her health and appeared to be in extreme pain and once again could no longer eat. We had an emergency vet appt for her the day after and they found she had a severe infection, half her back teeth had rotted away and the stress gave her "rat pneumonia" (mycoplasma I think he said?) So she is very very ill. I was given another round of 2 antibiotics and painkiller. The vet told me if I didn't see improvement after 10 days then that was God's way of telling me it's her time to go.

I do not think she is improving. She doesn't seem to be in as much pain as she was in before but that's probably due to the medication. She can't eat at all, she won't even take her favorite treats anymore, or she tries to eat them and then gives up because it hurts too much. Since she no longer takes treats I have to force the medicine in her mouth and she hates it. I scheduled her a vet appt for next week, which will be 10 days later. Maybe she will magically improve but things don't look good now. Is it the right decision to euthanize her?? The vet said if she improved she could get surgery to get the infected teeth removed. But how much would surgery improve her chances?? From what I see online it's no guarantee that the infection will be cured or won't come back, and she is in so much pain and can barely even eat the mush I put in her food bowl. I just want to be 110% sure before I euthanize her and Lola loses her sister. I've been bawling over it.

Exactly what SQ said...video?

Start with painkiller? is it Metacam? 1.5 mg/ml or 0.5 mg/ml? How much does she weigh, and how much are you being told to give her? (a LOT of vets underdose Metacam which is actually tolerated very very well by rats and there are new recommended dosages that these vets aren't getting updated on (years ago now).

Update, will not have to make this decision because she passed away last night. Brought her to vet to be cremated today. She was on Baytril, doxycycline and I think tramadol for pain. She fought the infection a long time but it just kept getting worse. I hope she is at peace in rat heaven now.

Back