Ill Pete

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaginon

Hello,
I have a rat that is around 2 years old. His name is Pete.
He is quite ill atm. He is almost constantly wheezing when he breathes. I have been to the Vet and I have been given Predmix and Baytril (an antibiotic) for him and his younger buddy who has a much milder wheeze). Now he has been on it for 6 days so far and I have not really seen much improvement (in him or his buddy). Now I have about enough of the Predmix for a few more days. Does this actually do anything?

My last VET visit cost me $200, with the consultation fee and the medication costs (and the amount of predmix i get seems to be very little and only looks to be enough to last around 10 days. I can afford it fortnightly, but barely, and it does impact me. Now I have no issue paying this for something that works, but if it does not work and I have been paying so much for snake oil I will be pissed (I already have a low opinion of vets). Finding another vet is difficult since the only other one close to me is afraid/reluctant/unwilling/dislikes/whatever to actually touch rats, so I do not like to use him.

He used to be very overweight, but he has lost a heap of weight and though still big (size-wise) is fairly skinny. I have a third rat that is very messy, not that bright, but is extremely healthy.

Pete is still fairly active, he travels fairly regularly from my bed to his cage on the far side of my bedroom. (He can still climb up both). He still eats, but sometimes it seems his appetite is there and sometimes it does not. He likes to lie on my shoulder in the evening when I am in bed on the computer and will often do so for hours or until I push him off. This can get a bit frustrating since I do not want to get up and disturb him because he is so ill, but at the same time, he wees on my shoulder which I have to clean off.

I would suggest baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) orally twice a day, for at least 6 weeks if it helps. Azithromycin can be purchased from a drug store/pharmacy by prescription from a vet.

If it doesn't help enough then try adding doxy to the two meds.

If these do not clear it up, then he may have a heart issue and you can test dose with benazepril to see if it helps

He is likely loosing weight because it is hard to eat and breath at the same time. In addition to his regular blocks try feeding him soft foods to eat ...... such as rat blocks soaked in cool water to make mush, organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal, cooked grains like quinoa or oatmeal, and soft vegs like cooked and mashed sweet potatoes, carrots and peas. etc
Please also make sure he has access to at least one water dish that he can easily access and that can not be tipped over (rats need at least 2 or 3 water sources in their cage that are checked at least twice a day)

Last edited:
Thank you.
I am currently giving him/them the Baytril and Predmix once per day as instructed. Not sure Vets can give prescriptions to be filled by pharmacists here. Never even heard of the practice. You can't even request medication from a vet without a consultation. I researched Predmix and it seemed to be an asperin type medication (something to treat symptoms rather than the cause).

When Pete breaths you can see his sides puffing in and out. And he was always the most independent of my 3. He used to like to sleep by himself. Now he pretty much has to sleep with one of the other rats or on my shoulder.

So your little guy is getting 1 antibiotic and 1 steroid. So I would ask for a second antibiotic like zithromax. Baytril and Zithro is a great combo. Also, I'm not surprised you didn't see any results yet, it takes at least 4 to 6 weeks on meds for a full recovery. The prednisolone can probably be discontinued after the 10 days.

Back