I am SO Discouraged...Need Help.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
Long time no see!!
So it's my second time getting a tumor removal done on a rat...and I am so upset. Mama had her tumor removed about 2 weeks ago. She chewed her stitches out within a day. She was on pain meds. Doc said to keep watching it, keep it clean, etc. Well of course Mama kept picking at it. So asked for more pain meds. I received some (I work at the best small animal vet around here as a vet tech) and kept giving her some to try and keep her pain free. She is showing no signs of pain, at all. Well then we got a lovely abscess. However, Doc went on vacation. I went to our other small animal doctor. She flushed out the wound and put her on antibiotics. Well it didn't clear up, and there was an area of necrotic tissue that formed. Cue a second surgery to really clean the wound out good and suture it back up. :sad4:
So the doctor put a drain in yesterday and took off the necrotic tissue. She also flushed it well. Mama ripped the drain out tonight despite being on more pain meds and antibiotics. There's already more puss. I am so upset. This is so stressful for my poor rat that she pees and poops herself when I pick her up
This whole situation is making us both so upset. I just want to cry. Any ideas on what I can do? She isn't eating well anymore. I just want her to feel better and go back with her daughters. I just don't want to lose her. :praying:

-EDIT-
I forgot to add I have been flushing with saline a couple times a day

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is to keep her somewhat sedated. That, however comes with a whole host of other medical needs. Can you please tell me what pain medications you have her on? I took care of a friend's rat who had a colon reconstruction and he had a drain. He was able to leave it alone but he was on a lot of drugs. His personality was also affected, just like your girl. He came round after he healed but yes, it was stressful while he was receiving care. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I know what you are going through.

The only thing I can think of is to keep her somewhat sedated. That, however comes with a whole host of other medical needs. Can you please tell me what pain medications you have her on? I took care of a friend's rat who had a colon reconstruction and he had a drain. He was able to leave it alone but he was on a lot of drugs. His personality was also affected, just like your girl. He came round after he healed but yes, it was stressful while he was receiving care. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I know what you are going through.
She is sedated on buprenorphrine and dilute acepromazine

And what about for pain?

I am not familiar with acepromazine but what I can say about buprenorphrine is that is can cause pretty sever pica in rats. That could easily be a reason for her not wanting to leave the wound alone all by itself. I would recommend butorphanol instead.

I believe the buprenorphrine is what she intended to use for the pain and the ace was the sedative part. But tomorrow I'm going to ask her for a different pain med. Is there one you recommend? It's probably not advised but I put one of her daughters with her and monitored them. Her daughter didn't bother her booboo but Mama started eating! The wound looks pretty good considering.

If the other rat is not bothering the wound then I would say the psychological benefit to her justifies them being together.

When I was dealing with the colon reconstruction rat her was on meloxicam, tramadol, and butorphanol for a few days. As the pain improved we discontinued the butorphanol. After the drain was removed we were able to stop the tramadol. The meloxicam was continued for several days afterward.

Yeah I definitely want to get her on different meds, I don't think the current ones are helping too much. I just want her wound to heal up and have my sweet baby again :heart:

I hear you. It is tough to feel so powerless. Remember that you aren't, though. You are taking the steps and doing something about it. My advice is at the very least she needs meloxicam every 24 hrs and tramadol every 12 hrs. Additionally, if the vet will comply with the request, torbutol every 6-8 hrs as needed. Tramadol can also be given more often at every 8 hrs if needed.

Maybe the antibiotics aren't working? Are you flushing the wound every day? My vet told me that flushing is paramount with open wounds.

Back