Help diagnosing.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt52

Hello all, I've frequented this forum for information for some time. Now I'm posting because one of our rats is sick. We noticed the symptoms about 10 days ago. Symptoms include: Lethargic, unsteady, overall appearance has degraded, and weight loss. What initially alerted us was that he didn't come to the door of the enclosure to beg for treats. He's a massive glutton and will beg shamelessly just like his cage mate. (Who is very alert and very much like he should be) I noticed he was not present at the doors hoping for food, instead laying about in one of his houses. Aware that I was there but not interested. We took him out and set him down, he seemed unsure of his back end. I did the small treat test (was not a cheerio, but a small flake) he seemed to be able to hold it and manipulate it normally. We took him to the vet last Monday, he was cleared and they apparently couldn't find anything wrong with him. Afterward he seemed back to normal. However most of the past week he has steadily degraded. He does still eat but not nearly as much as is normal for him. He just seems as if he feels terrible. He just lays there, where as usual he'd be all over the place. I'm suspicious of a pituitary tumor. Ratphoned him, no wheezing, no extra mucus. He's right at two years old. Intact. Any additional information I'd be happy to give? What are your thoughts. His name is Loki. It's a pleasure to finally be here. Thank you very much.

Gosh I think you gave all the information I would ask for. My mind is thinking pituitary tumour, cardiomyopathy, silent pneumonia...I dunno. PT would be my first bet. Did they get an X-ray at the vet to rule out pneumonia and cardiomegaly?

Thank you Sheldon for the reply. I try to be as informative as possible up front ha ha. I'm leaning towards PT myself. Symptoms are mostly all there. As far as I know there was no x-ray. (Price didn't suggest it) We were a little disappointed this go-round with the vet, very little information was given. We couldn't be there so my wife dropped him off and later picked him up. I'll see if she can call and find out what was looked for and with what methods.

Well, got up this morning and Loki has passed away. I hate not knowing what it was, and/or if we could have done anything. Such is life I guess. Thank you Sheldon for the offering of knowledge.

I'm so very sorry. What you described could be a number of issues, even bladder infection or bladder leakage. He's free now... hugs to you.

Thank you very much @SQ and Jorats. It's very bothersome not knowing what was wrong, and more so if we could have helped him be a bit more comfortable. I don't think he was in a lot of pain, but can't know for sure of course. My son had a bad start to his last day of school. They were mostly his. (All of ours)

I know what you mean. My heart rat passed of an aggressive illness unknown. It is difficult. Hugs to you and your son both

Back