Eos, Lucy, Trill, Trem, Grendel, Jinn, Scarfy, and Gumbo

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhHuhHer

I've been absent from this forum a long time and a lot has happened and a lot of it has been painful. I can't write individual eulogies for all of my lost babies since I last posted, so I'll do one for all of them here.

Eos was my grumpy old lady. She was more affectionate in the end than she had been with me most of her life and that was when I knew she was over. She was two. She had survived a lot. I'm glad she's with Mohini and Dotty again. She was never the same after they died. I think she was ready to see them again. She had to be pts on my first week in the new house.

Lucille was my baby. She was well over two. She went from biting my lip and thumb very badly when she was little to being a rat I'd gladly hold up to my face for kisses and cuddles. She was delicate her whole life and loved comfort and quiet. Her death broke me like nothing had in a long time. She died peacefully in her cage.

Trill was quiet and her personality took years to learn. She was loving and she was so close to her sister, Tremolo. She seemed to play second fiddle to Trem's bigger personality, but I don't think she minded not being the center of attention. It made it easier to steal all the food while no one was looking. She died peacefully in her cage.

Tremolo was a trouble maker like I hadn't seen since Gumdrop was young. She loved to climb and chew and jump off cages if you weren't watching her. She liked to squeeze under doors and steal treats from her cagemates. She died peacefully in her cage.

Grendel is the one I'm still not over. I let him down. He was my little cuddlebug and during months of deep depression, he lacked the affection he needed and deserved. He was sweet and gentle and lived for love. If I had a chance to raise him again, I would hold him every day and tell him how much I love him. He died peacefully in his cage the day before he would have been pts for a tumor that was going necrotic.

Jinn was quiet and stoic and very protective of me. The biggest mama's boy I ever had. He loved me and just about no one else. He was the meanest rat I ever had when his hormones got out of whack for a while, but he was my good boy. I could have done better by him, too, but I was with him when he passed away in my home and I'm glad.

Gumbo was a big squishy guy who loved everybody. He was a gentle giant and made every new rat feel at home. He loved sitting in the bathroom during bath time and napping on laps during movie nights. I only got him for the last nine months of his life, but it was worth it. He died in his cage of what was likely a ruptured brain tumor. It wasn't peaceful, but he was with a cagemate he loved.

Scarfhog was too young to die. But he was the product of bad inbreeding and poor care during his early days. He loved people, but he bit all the time. He drew blood almost every time he interacted with human hands. He attacked two other rats. He had serious neurological problems and was a handful every day of his short life. But he was worth it. My friend and I would have adopted him all over again, even knowing how his story ended. He died in his igloo, in his own little nest of clothes. He looked more peaceful than any dead rat I'd ever seen before. I believe he was happy until the end.

:rose3: RIP to all your precious ratties!

You can never let them down because with you they had a better life then they ever would have.

Back