Hello from NC!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NachoQTPie

Hello!
New member here.

I used to own rats a LONG time ago (like 18 years ago.. Lol) and my son just went and bought himself 2 juvenile male rats.

Right now we have them in a 10 gallon aquarium with a screened lid that has a lock. (Was my daughters hermit crab cage before she got a bigger one) He named them Charlie and Roddy. They both black and white "fancy rats" from petsmart.

I know that this tank is going to be much too small for them soon, but I haven't been able to find a suitable cage for them. There was a really nice 2 story ferret cage I found, but didn't know if that was appropriate for rats or not. When i had mine years ago we just had a very large aquarium for them.

Suggestions?

I was thinking of this cage
d39bd3308c9e8ad2bdc391ad0e3d096f.jpg

:wel5:

You are right, tanks are not good for rats, the poor air circulation can cause long term lung damage
plus it is difficult to hang hammocks etc
However, that is not a good cage for rats (ie difficult to clean, pee rivers etc), there are much better cages available.

1) If you are in the USA then the martins R-695, powder coated (paint is baked onto the wire) with a flip top lid, is a great cage, but you will need to cover the wire levels.
(It is made in the USA and expensive to ship to other countries)
I used dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable/zip tied onto the balconies and a piece of thick linoleum cut to fit on the full level.
You assemble this cage with hundreds of cable/zip ties because the C-rings will rust. $150 www.martinscages.com

2) another great cage is the Midwest Critter Nation cage.
It comes as a single and as a double. A single is spacious enough for 2 boys.
- It is considered by many to be the best cage on the market for pet rats,
however things to watch out for are:
1) make sure the welding is ok as it is made in China and on rare occasions people have found problems with the welding
2) be careful when the doors are open because if bumped the doors can fall off and rats out playing have been killed when a door fell on them
- sold in many pet stores, ferret.com, and on amazon
Petsmart has a version of the cage made by Midwest for them that is the same as the brand name cage

Price varies depending on where you are buying it. Sometimes you can get it on sale.

Both cages have large doors, small bar spacing and are excellent cages

If you check out the habitat section you can see lots of ideas for setting up cages, as well as pictures of both critter nation cages (CN) and martins R-695 cages

good luck
btw, it helps if you say where you are in your profile ..... country and province or state is helpful to people responding

Last edited:
Back