Odd behaviour linked to possible UTI - any ideas?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ration1802

I'm currently dealing with a conundrum which my 'rat sense' tells me may be more than I first thought.

About a week ago I noticed blood around my old gents 'bits' (by old I mean 2 1/4, so not so old yet). Checked him using the white blanket method, which was inconsistent but I did notice that there was blood when he was marking. Started him on Baytril.

On Sunday (after a week of being absolutely fine), he started to show signs of frequent and painful urination; trying to owe, takes a few steps, tries again...then cleans himself down there quite a bit. Repeat process. He seems to be limited to a few drops, but eventually did go properly overnight.

During this period, he started an odd behaviour which is (trying to describe it as best I can) laying on his belly then kicking his legs back in a frog hop. I assumed this was linked to pain whilst trying to go, so gave him loxicom.

Monday he went to the vets and the vet couldn't feel any bladder distension (I was worried about stones) or any unusual lumps and bumps. All checked out as normal and we added trimethaprim sulfa to the mix.

So far, so good. Except tonight he's started back with the obsessive cleaning (the trying to go isn't frequently noticeable like it was on sunday night) and he's occasionally doing the 'frog hops'.

He looks normal 'down there', albeit slightly redder than it looked when I got home today and all of his started (I checked as a matter of paranoia - don't ask!)

Appetite otherwise normal. General behaviour quiet and I'm convinced he doesn't look as alert as often as he usually does.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? I'm stumped?

I'm not quite sure the two are related. The frog hop sound like hind end degeneration. Also I think he may have penis plugs. Are you checking him for those?

HLD has definitely started, but I've never noticed this particular behaviour it any of my previous HLD cases. If they aren't linked, great! He just has spectacular timing...!

I do check daily for plugs with him at the moment because his back legs have started, but none so far.

He doesn't seem to go much and is still reasonably frequent (a little but often) but it's nothing like it was on sunday where he was trying to go every couple of minutes.

I checked him again last night and there was a pinpricks worth of blood, but I only noticed because I was paying very close attention.

He's been on it for 3 weeks now, just finishing the trimethoprim tomorrow. A dex injection has perked him up significantly but noticed blood again tonight. Argh!

Hopefully the little dude will get a break soon!

Back