Much worse than expected

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessGrooms

My boy Red went back to the vet today.

We were there 3 weeks ago after both boys developed an RI, and they were put on Azithromycin. It was a 21 day round of treatment. That ended 3 days ago.

Red stopped responding to it much after 2 weeks, but we finished the meds anyways. Sammy did great, and hasn't had issue.

I opted for chest x-rays to get a good idea as to what we were looking at. My poor baby, barely 7 months old, has 2 lung abscesses and a partially collapsed left lung. I'm heartbroken, as this is the "worst case scenario" my vet said we might face. He doesn't think being pts is an option we need to consider yet, but only the next few weeks of trying different medications will tell.

I don't understand how it ravaged his body so fast, but the x-rays don't lie, and those images will haunt me.

There are many meds you can try -- believe me I know!! As long as he looks comfortable he can most likely live another 1-6 months there is just no way to tell. Theophylline, metacam, baytril, doxy are good.

Right now, he is on a combo of Doxy, Baytril and metro-something (a close cousin of azithromycin). He seemed to have a bit more energy yesterday though!

Back