Vet costs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airaveth

How much do rats cost health wise? I've heard they can get sick with tumors or respiratory problems quite often, and still being in high school I don't have a lot of money to spend on vet bills. How much have your rat's vet bills cost you? I'm thinking of getting two neutered males.

They are similar to dogs and cats in that they can be healthy or they can need care. I had a rat cost me over $500 in her 21 month lifetime.

I just took my older girl in due to a bad myco flare up/URI. It cost $133, but it would have been over $300 had she needed to stay overnight and receive supportive care. At first the vet wanted to keep her overnight and dollar signs were flashing in my head. Sadly, for those of us with limited incomes you have to think about the money aspect as well as the best treatment for your animal. I still would have gone through with it since I have savings. We agreed to try at home care with strong antibiotics since she's still eating/drinking and alert.

Exotic vet care is pretty expensive. Pretty much all of the animals in my care are labeled exotics and I have spent more money than I care to remember on vet bills. I'm on disability but I'm still able to make sure my critters receive vet care by having savings and pet insurance. The pet insurance I've found to be especially life saving for those big vet bills. Like my cat who was in critical condition due to not being able to urinate because of crystals and had to be hospitalized for a week.

So while rats are considered exotics and will likely have a bit more expensive vet bills just based on that alone, there are ways you can live on a budget and make sure you can get them professional medical care.

Hopefully this helps a little bit :wave:

All pets can become ill and will require vet care and medication. Expenses vary due to the rats and also different vets charge different amounts. It is great that you are thinking about this before getting any pets, because rats are not inexpensive pets. You might want to see what good vets that treat rats in your area charge for vet visits, surgery, and various antibiotics such as baytril and doxy.

Rats can be very expensive pets in terms of vet and medication costs. It has been suggested that people have at least $200 put aside for one rat and $150 for each additional rat, and that they keep replacing the money in the account as it is used.
Many rat owners, such as myself, have credit cards used to pay vet bills because rats hide illness and by the time you realise they are ill, you are in a medical emergency and they need to see a vet immediately.

Often teens who have pet rats have families who will help them and also a have part time jobs to help pay for vet care and medications.

good luck

My vet costs in my little town are very high. Which is one of the reasons why I need to take a huge break after my last guys pass. I need to build up a "vet fund" account before I can get more.

As others have said, vet costs can add up. If your family already has a vet with whom you have a good relationship (and if that vet looks after rats), they may be willing to let you make smaller payments over time instead of having to shell it all out at once.

Depending on where you are, PetCard may also be available. It's like a credit card, but only for use at the vet. We got one about twelve years ago when one of our wee ladies needed surgery for a mammary mass. It was a risky surgery, but the vet didn't know just how badly so until Hannah was on the table. Turns out the mass was being fed by a major blood vessel. She went into cardiac arrest twice on the table; they managed to revive her the first time, but not the second. That cost around $550.

Something many of us have learned over the years, whether through our own experiences or hearing those of others, is that if you can't afford the vet care, don't take on the pet. There are often options for care if your vet is willing to work with you, but if there's no support network and the vet bills aren't doable one way or another, maybe now is not the best time to have rats.

Back