Baby Rat with Myco Flare Up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatashaT

Just a few days ago I bought a 6 week old rat, and the stress of moving her to a new cage has caused a myco flare up. With her being so tiny, I was worried about this killing her, so I gave her some of the meds the vet gave me when my adult rats had flare ups. I completely forgot about changing dosage sizes, so i gave a 6 week old rat the same dosage as a 1 year old! Is this going to kill her?? The meds are enrofloxacin and doxycyclin and the dosage was 1.8ml of each for an adult rat...I feel terrible. I've given this to her for two days now, and obviously I'm stopping it from now on. I'm just worried it'll kill her in the long run for being so stupid....

Enro/Baytril has a huge safety margin so I wouldn't be worried for that but I don't know about Doxy, I don't think it will kill her, maybe give her an upset stomach and diarrhea.

1.8 ml is a LOT even for an adult rat, so I am hoping it was a typo on your part. lets start with what concentation (mg/ml) your doxy and enro are, and also how much your wee weighs?

Back