Help with Feeder Rats!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzalula69

Hi,

I purchased two young female feeder rats a while ago. I've heard that you can tame feeder rats and make them very nice pets, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about this. I've done tons of research and tried everything I've found online, but nothing seems to be working.

My rats are extremely skittish and I can't get them to come out of their cage at all. Sometimes they will take treats from my hand (either Yogies or Cheerios), but this is very, very rare and they just take the treat and run. They hate to be pet and picked up, and have recently started biting. I've done everything I can think of. Unfortunately, if I can't get a good bond with them soon, I'm going to have to find a new home for them. Please help!

Tzalula

Generally it is not recommended to purchase feeder rats, as a new rat will simply replace it.

How long have you had them? How much time daily do you spend with them? What treats to you offer? Do you have a way that they can choose to come out of the cage rather than be taken out?

The only difference between 'feeder rats" and other rats is that they are not used to being handled. They do make great pets.
Once you have answered he above questions, I am sure people will have some suggestions.

I've had them for almost a month, and I spend on average 3-4 hours a day with them. I've tried offering them Yogies, Cheerios, cooked broccoli, sweet peas, cheese (though not a lot of it since too much isn't good for them), apples, carrots, watered-down peanut butter, and cooked egg. The only things that they seem to actually like are Yogies and Cheerios (they didn't even eat the broccoli, sweet peas or peanut butter). The door to the cage doubles as a ramp when opened, so they have a way to get out on their own, but they never want to (and I've tried just leaving the cage door open for a while, with treats right outside, to try to tempt them to come out on their own, but it never works). They don't usually even come out of their hiding box unless it's to get food or water. The only reason I've taken them out of their cage at all is to clean it.

Tzalula69

What other animals do you have in your home?

picture of your cage? Video?

Rats can not vomit so they will only take a small taste of unfamiliar food and if it doesn't make them ill, they may try a bit more next time. Keep offering them small bits of vegs.
You might try small amounts of field greens, frozen-thawed peas, cooked sweet potato. coked quinoa, cooked oatmeal, organic pumpkin seeds

when do they bite and are they nipping or drawing blood?

Last edited:
Have you tried taking them into a neutral ground sort of room? You might try sitting in the bathroom floor with yummy treats while they do not have access to their own territory. I would not do this longer than 30 minutes for the first few times.

I have a cat and a dog, but I keep the rats in their own separate room that the other animals aren't allowed in.

They bite at random times (usually when I'm putting them back in their cage after I cleaned it). Most of the time, they just nip, but a couple days ago, I tried to let one of them, who seemed to be relaxed, sniff my hand and she bit and drew blood.

I haven't tried taking them to a different room yet. I'm a bit weary about doing so, because the last time I took them out of the cage just to clean it was when one of them bit and drew blood.

The picture of the cage is attached.

Tzalula69

cage.jpg

Ok two things I can suggest:
1) present your fist instead of your hand when you approach them. Bites to the knuckles cause a lot less damage and hurt less too.

2) you may need to use a towel or gloves to transfer them to the bathroom. This is not suggested for general interaction as it can scare them and you want them to learn that your hands are a safe place. That being said, you have to keep yourself safe as well.

Hello,

I'd just like to thank everyone! I took your suggestions, and they worked. My girls are doing so much better! They're not as skittish, and they seem to be more relaxed around me. I've been able to pet them and bring them out to play (they haven't bitten since).

Tzalula69

Back