Rat laying on side, unable to get up. VET RECS IN NYC!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawintogold

So Red is one of my "rescues" (I recently graduated from a vet tech program and we used rats to practice injection technique; we were told if we didn't adopt them, we'd have to euthanize them, so I took 3; I haven't really bonded with them, as they were lab rats and never acclimated to people, but I still enjoy them and want to provide good care for them in their short lives) and last week, I noticed her falling over, unable to walk properly. My knowledge of exotics is admittedly limited, and I thought it might be mycoplasma because I thought I heard her breathing heavily and wheezing.

The next day came and she seemed to be doing better; the week has progressed and she seemed to be compensating well (enough to move up the ramp in her cage and crawl into the hammock I have for them with a pocket in it), so I, stupidly as a first time rat owner, waited.

But I just went to check on her and she's laying on her side, unable to stand. She has two mammary tumors, which from my own inspection seem benign and hadn't impeded her movement before. It seems like a pituitary tumor or possibly a stroke (WAY too severe to be an inner ear infection at this point), and I'm wondering if I should bring her in for a visit or schedule a euthanasia ASAP.

I've been in a financial bind, and I'm worried about vet care and its cost. If anyone knows a good exotics vet in NYC that isn't AMC (because I CANNOT afford AMC prices; also not the Humane Society, because I interned there and I know their exotics vet has set up his own practice and is there so sporadically that it'll take me far too long to get an appointment) and that would possibly have appointments for tomorrow, PLEASE let me know! I don't want her to suffer and I feel like a horrible person for having let it progress because she seemed to be getting better.

(No criticism, please. As a tech, however inexperienced I am with exotics, I'm ashamed; as an animal lover, I'm devastated that my own busy schedule, financial situation, and belief that Red was on the mend kept me from making an appointment earlier.)

Last edited:
Sorry I don't know that area
Try reaching out to any rat rescues in your area
She really needs to see a vet asap (rats become ill and die fast so by the time you notice there is a problem, you are already in a medical emergency).
Perhaps you can ask friends or family for a loan, sell things, use someone elses credit card etc

No circling, no head tilt, one side of the body weaker then the other side? Sounds like a possible stroke ... treatment is a steroid such as pred + and antibiotic such as baytril (there is also medical treatment for pt.)
See : http://ratguide.com/health/neurological/stroke.php

Last edited:
There is a possibility its inner ear infection, if she was tilted and circling, which can be related to the myco infections.

In the US you can buy antibiotics online, let me know if you need the links and dosing instructions.

If its a stroke then unless you had steroids these often slowly resolve with some care on your part.

If its PT, a steroid and/or bromocriptine is needed (which is a vet trip).

Can you get a video?

I didn't get a chance to post earlier, but Red passed away this morning, well before I even got the time to call local vets and ask if they would do exotic euthanasia (and allow me some kind of payment plan to ease her suffering). :(

I'm fairly certain it was either PT or a stroke. She wasn't circling or tilting her head, though by last night, all she could do was lay on her side - prior to that there was no circling, just a general inability to sit upright. She couldn't hold her food to her mouth and would remain lateral or struggle to get on her stomach (with her left side against the wall of the small cage I moved her to) to eat the treats I put in there (I tried cat food and apple sauce and she was having none of that). I'm not sure if she was favoring one side over the other, or if her front paws were clubbed - at least one appeared to be. There MIGHT have been seizure activity; I've never seen a seizure in a rat, but she appeared to be chattering.

If it was a stroke, would she have passed so quickly? Based on symptoms, it seems like it could have been either of the two.

Last edited:
Back