Rat's urine smells stale/bad. Need help with compounding Septra 80mg/400mg pleeease!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallblossom

I've had my new nine month old rat for six weeks. He isn't active in his cage no matter how big or small it is. He just lays there depressed, isn't active, and is just existing.

Recently I noticed his urine smells stale/horrible. My son also said to me, "His pee smalls bad!". My shirt smells of it, his sheath smells of it. It's unbearable.

Apparently Septra (Bactrim) is the best choice of antibiotic to treat UTI's. Would anyone help me figure out how to compound my Septra? I have bird sulfa 80mg/400mg. I believe the dose is 15mg/kg of rat. My rat weighs 600 grams.

Please someone help! :pillred:

NOTE: My boy attacked two of us while in his cage a few days ago and gave us bad bites. In the Rat Health Guide it states if a rat has a UTI that he/she can be cage aggressive.

Last edited:
I should have been accurate with the dosage on the bottle of Septra I have. It is Sulfamethoxazole 400mg/Trimethoprim 80mg which was written backwards in the title of my post.

Last edited:
Back