Are rat mites biting me? I'm getting bitten every day and am insanely itchy.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallblossom

The other day when we came home from shopping and I changed into my house clothing, I noticed five bites on my right hip. The next day I got two on my stomach and another one on my stomach the day after (close to the other two). Today I got one on my neck (one of my rats on crawling around my neck), and just fifteen minutes ago I bitten on the side of my torso. These bites are insanely itchy. I wash them and put an antihistamine cream on them and they still itch. Initially I thought the bites were from mosquitoes and ignored them (a mosquito cannot bite a person under their pyjamas and blankets).

While healing they turn into smaller red dots. There is no huge rash, blood or blisters but the initial bites are red, irregular shaped at times and are 1/2" cm wide.

Can rat mites live on clothing? How are they getting me when I am sleeping with pyjamas on (I'll get one bite while sleeping on my leg and wake up itching)? Has anyone dealt with this before? None of my rats have scabs, but I do see my new rat scratching himself a wee bit more than my other 12 rats. I've had my new rat for six weeks and handle him more than any of my other rats because the poor boy is a lone rat.

I have several rats come to me with mites and they have never bothered me. I doubt that they can live on clothing for long as i believe they need a species specific host.... My vet was never concerned about the mites getting to my dogs and cats let alone myself. Somebody else might know a little more though... Does your new guy show any signs of having mites? Has he been treated with rev at all?
Almost sounds more like flea or bed bug bites to me.

Do you have other pets in the home like cats or dogs? It sounds more like fleas to me. Mites will stay on the rats, they won't jump off for a human.

I think bird mites may be affecting me. Apparently they will single out a host. Nobody else in my home is getting bitten. My cats get treated with Advantage and I don't see them scratching a lot nor do I see tons of flea poop on my bed sheets (maybe a few flea poops).

My bites wake me up at night and itch like mad. The bites I have seem to take turn with the irritation they give. Hydrocorisone cream takes a bit to kick in. I have one particular bite that won't go away and has stayed inflamed for a week now. It is on my torso.

Last night I got a bite when I was going up my stairs on my throat. Immediately I looked in a 10x mirror and didn't see any critters on my skin.

I've treated some of the rooms in my home with borax powder and cedar oil mixed in (along the baseboards applied with a paint brush). I've never encountered such discomfort or itchiness before and I am considering a doctor's appointment because I need relief from the itchy burning bites. Some of the bites heal fine while others stay inflamed. For now there is no end to this.

At the moment I have in total six bites. The five bites I got all at once healed at the same time.

Last edited:
Back