Sneezes; clean bill of health?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

So, I've had a couple rats that sneeze ever 10 minutes or so, get taken to the vet and given a clean bill of health.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I just adopted a new rat from a friend and she has taken him to the vet for sneezing and the vet said nothing was wrong with him. I just need to ease my mind before introducing him to my boys. All the rats I've had have had some sort of breathing problem, usually when they wake up from a sleep, but were otherwise healthy.

Also, any tips for the introduction process? I've read every article about it but if anyone has anything to add that would be great. I have 2 males and adopted another male, all around 1 and a half years old.

We had a rat once that sneezed his whole life. So yes, it's possible for rats to simply sneeze with no other sickness.
For intros with males, I would go slow. Find a neutral area, not near any cages, a different room would be good. I like to use table tops some like to use bathtubs. Do not have any toys to start but do have yummy treats on the table to distract them. Once you do that first step, we will know how best to proceed.

I was thinking to leave their cages side by side for a few days so they can get to know each other that way first. the put them in each others cages for a few minutes a few times and if that all goes well I'm going to use the bathtub. I plan to give them a bath to reduce their scent and maybe do the thing where you put a drop of vanilla extract on each of them. I'm going all out. Lol. Last time I tried intros it didn't work. But, one of the last rats was always grumpy. the new Comer is a total sweetheart.

I wouldn't do the bathing because it's going to make them produce more sebum too quickly. Also, adding vanilla simply disguises what the rats are trying to smell. Rats like most animals communicate and gather information by sense of smell. Masking that is simply delaying the proper process of introduction. But if that makes you feel more comfortable... go for it. :)

I see. I think the main idea of the bathing is to keep them distracted from one another for a little bit. they'll be too busy washing to fight.

But, if it's not recommended I probably won't do it. I'm just trying to be as safe as possible. Quincy posed the biggest problem with the last grumpy rat, but maybe since the newcomer seems to be more submissive it won't be so hard.

One more question, until I begin intros.

Do you think the sneezing is worth a vet visit? Keep in mind the previous owner took him twice and he was treated but the treatment did nothing for the sneezes so he's been living with it.

I will worry though! He's been seeing for a year with no other problems. I guess I'm mostly worried that if he has something hell give it to my boys. He's also got some porphyrin around his nose, just a tad though.

I'm ready to do intros though. Ugh.

If he was mine, I probably would bring him to the vet just to be sure his lungs are clear and then you can start your intros feeling more confident.

Well, I guess I should have waited a week and saw because now he's barely sneezing at all and the porphyrin around his nose as gone away. I could have just been the new home sneezes acting up. I don't think I'm going to take him anymore. :D

Back