Harley Rat Not Responding to Amoxi, Enro. or Doxy; What next?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallblossom

I fell in love with an 8 month old long haired albino rat on Kijiji while looking for cages and drove one hour to pick him up. The first night I realized he was having a myco flare up (he woke me up with loud breathing). He was treated with amoxicillin for a few days and didn't respond. Next I added enrofloxacin (Baytril) and he didn't respond. Then I left out the amoxi and gave him an enrofloxacin/doxycycline combo. This has been going on for 2.5 weeks and he is still making myco noises.

My new rat weighs 525 grams, seems to poop well and has these 'hiccup attacks' which aren't hiccups. It is some kind of respiratory attack and happen for about five minutes f couple times per day when I am holding him. His 'hiccups' happen at a rate of 2 per second.

Is there anything else I can try? I have Biaxin, Septra, Clavamox (Augmentin), Azithromycin, and Zithromax. Should I try one of these and drop the enro/doxy? I have no idea how long my new rat has been sick for, so it's hard to tell how much lung scarring he has. However, he rarely sneezes but DOES have those attacks.

Any suggestions?

PS: The enro on its own has quieted down my other rats myco flare ups which they are on for three weeks.

It's very possible your rat IS just hiccuping. Some rats are more prone to it then others, its not always a sign of a resp infection., Normally hiccups are silent, but if you hear sounds it could be from an underlying resp infection, one starting up or just lung scarring. Do you want to take a video of your lad and we can give you a better idea of if he's actively sick or not? How do his lungs sound when you hold his sides to your ear (rat phone)?

Did he improve and this is just the last little sign of his former issues?

I am by no means an expert, but a few of my rats start to hiccup when I pet them or even just sit and talk to them! I think someone else called them "happy hiccups." Maybe he just loves you (in addition to any other issues he may have...)

Back