Greetings from Maryland!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooklight

Hello everyone! I am a happy 54 year old who hasn't had a rattie for years, but received the happy news that I will receive rats for my birthday! My actual birthday isn't until October, but the Ratties will be coming home probably the last week of September, which will give me time to get my rat cage set up. That's next week! Huzzah!

I have been busily looking at cage recommendations. Boy, things have changed since I had ratties last! I love the look of the fleece lining setups; I don't mind washing them, and it looks easier to change than the huge amounts of litter I used to go through. I would be glad to hear any tips from you about fleece in cages, or if you would use litter instead.

I still haven't decided if I am getting boys or girls yet. It depends on if my local animal shelter gets any rats in. I would like to rescue if I could, but they seldom have rats.

Besides the future rats, I have a dog who thinks all small animals are puppies. I also have a husband, who spoils all my pets until they are rotten. :thumbup: Besides the pets, I also enjoy playing the piano, tatting, reading, and decorating for the next holiday.

I have probably said enough for now, and will wish everyone a great day!

welcome and congRATulations on your new ("incoming soon" LOL) ratties

I love using the fleece, only issue is if you have rats that like to chew a lot. then it can tend to get pricey (but I patch up the holes as best I can)

looking forward to seeing photos of your new ratties and all

I use fleece mostly, usually over a towel (since the girls like to dig under one layer, and chew...) I have realized though that nice, fluffy, second-hand pillowcases are the perfect size for critter nations. They fit over the entire ledge tray, or on the bottom of the pans. I have found flannel, fleece, and quilted /batted ones to be the best. And on half-price day at the thrift store, they are much more affordable than new fleece.

Ariana

Have to be careful with towels under the fleece they can get tangled up and/or choke on the small strings. Toe nails can also get caught in the small loops. Its best if you know how to sew to make liners. You can also binder clip fleece to the pans

Back