Pet store supply of animals dwindling!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingRats0408

So I have noticed here in town...a significant drop in Petsmarts live animal stock...rats and gerbils in particular. This is no sign of the pet population dwindling....oh no...
WE HAVE STARTED IT!!!!!
People are becoming aware to the idea of adoption of all pets. No matter the size this is an adoption town!
I get emails daily for rabbits, gerbils, hamsters and rats galore. I cannot keep up. Anyone in the Ontario Canada area with small animal rescue or even Michigan please let me know when you have overages of bunnies, ferrets, chinchillas and GPs etc. I am happy to relocate them where the demand is!!! We just moved and have so much room now. I have many oldies right now and so I am slow for outgoing because I have a waitlist!!! I am the new go to in town!!! Snake feeders are livid at the poor selection in town. My friend who used to feeder breed now breeds to better the line (no more discussed on the matter) strictly because the area has NO MORE pet store supply!!!

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

Last edited:
Around here the Petsmart seem to have small animals, but they are sponsored from Animal Welfare. So, even though that is how I got Buddy - I paid for him at Petsmart, but he was a rescue though Animal Welfare because someone set him free. Basically, they are putting their small animals on the shelves of Petsmart and Petsmart doesn't seem to be buying from breeders.

Although, they just opened up a Pet Supplies Plus by us and they have small animals for sale in there. Didn't see rats though the one time I went in.

Last edited:
Yah the last few to come out of there were from Animal Aid an hour away. Unfortunately the way they processed adoptions I confirmed she was sold to a snake owner while very pregnant. I was pissed. Sold alone to a sketchy person while clearly pregnant

Our Petsmarts here (near Rochester, NY) have rescue rodents (housing them for our local shelters). Petco sells rodents, but I haven't seen any rats there for a while. Pet supplies plus just had reptiles and fish the last time I was there.

: )

Back