Help & Advice for Squishy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSar9e

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just signed up for some advice on my wee pal squishy. Hes a brown rat, over two years old now. We bought him as a dumbo but hes definitely not, kind just looks like a wild rat to be honest.

last year he developed a kind of oinking sound, in our ignorance we took it as a quirk (cos he is a little pig) however It soon became worse and we realised it was some kind of illness. we took him to our vet and he was prescribed Baytril @ 0.1ml twice daily.
This worked a treat and cleared up his grunting within a couple of days. Squishy carried on as normal stealing our food and trying to drink my tea when I wasn't watching.
About a month ago it started again so off to the vet we went.. this time she prescribed septrin (why she didn't just give me more Baytril I don't know) @ .15ml twice daily, this had no discernible affect and he quickly deteriorated. the vet put him on another course of septrin and again I did nothing for him.. by this point he was in a really bad way his breathing was laboured and he was very lethargic all the time. The vet tried tylan @ .15 ml once per day again to no affect, we ran this for five days before I lost my patience...
squishy was on deaths door, he was struggling to breath constantly, he was hunched over, his hair standing on end. he stopped eating and became very thin his body bony where before he was always quite chubby... To be honest it was heart breaking, even now ive got a lump in my throat, we cried and made the decision to let him go. I sat up with him that night unable to sleep, we sat together on the couch, I cursed myself for letting it get to this and letting him suffer so. In the early hours I began reading.. searching for hope, checking symptoms and treatments, it became apparent it was mycoplasmosis & pneumonia that had taken him. After reading so many stories of rats that had recovered with the rights meds I was shocked that we had given up on him... What got me the most is that the treatments he had been receiving were basically a stab in the dark from a vet that didn't know any better. I was furious, a symptom of grief I know but furious none the less.. at myself for not doing the research sooner and at my vet for not doing her reading either..
I took him to a different clinic the following day where I discussed (argued) with the vet over what the problem was and the medication he should be on. Eventually i came away with both Doxycycline, Baytril and a Mucolytic (bisolvon) The Doxycycline was supposed to be mixed with his drinking water.. ridiculous I know, so I done the math mixed up a suspension and administer it along with the other meds mixed with baby foo, two to three hours after this he gets a probiotic to help his tummy.
It has now been six days on this new course of meds, squishy has shown good signs of improvement, he is eating again, not so much solids but I feed him regularly with baby food, he doesn't seem to suffer from the racking fits of breathing that he had previously. His breathing is still noisy but doesn't sound as deep and dangerous as it had before.. Its difficult to explain but if you've been through this you'll understand what I mean. He still sleeps a lot but has a zest about him that he'd lost a week ago, particularly when food is involved. What I'm starting to worry about however is that his recovery seems to have stalled at just that.. hes eating better and doesn't seem distressed.

What I'm Basically asking is how long should I continue this line of treatment?
should it be taking longer that a week to bring him back to normal?
should I try something else? or is there something I should add to his treatment regime?

thanks in advance for and help and advice x

craig

Hi Craig, welcome to the Shack :)

Ok your research was correct Septra/TMZ/Bactrim is not effective against myco and shouldn't be a first choice for any respiratory illness, but for some reason vets reach for this first allll the time. Tylan is a very weak antibiotic especially when given on its own. If there had been improvement on antibiotics the vet could decide to lengthen the course but with no response it's time to add an antibiotic or change up.altogether. A combo is the best course of action.

You definitely got the right antibiotics this time which is good. Let's double-check his doses first.
I would need his weight, the concentration of each antibiotic (mg/ml) and what they were telling you to give him.

Also because your lad was at deaths door it will take him longer than most to improve. You saw the original improvements then he seems to have plateaued? Often this can be he's getting better but more slow and steady.

hi and thanks!

squishy was 442g on the 29th aug

I'm going to weigh him again this afternoon when he wakes from his nap.

hes currently getting 2mg doxy & .2ml 2.5% Baytril twice daily along with a tip of a toothpick of the mucolytic (vets instruction)

Can you tell me how you made up your doxy? is it a 100 mg capsule or packet?

You could up the dose to 0.27 ml of the baytril twice a day (we use 15 mg/kg as an empirically more effective dosage)

its a 4g packet containing 260mg (ornicure)

I bought a set of micro scales and:

260/4 = 65mg per gram

so I weighed out 3.1g which gave me 201.5mg which I then diluted with 16cc distilled water to a strength of 12.59mg per cc he gets .2cc twice daily which I worked out to be 2.51mg a go or 5.2mg per day for a 1lb rat

is this correct?

It looks decent except I would double it to 10 mg/kg (more effective), so his dose would be 0.34 ml twice a day for the doxy OR you could make it twice as concentrated with using 8 cc of water and his dose would then be .17 ml.

I have no clue how you are getting bitter doxy into your rat with no sweetner! Amazing. I have to use sweet syrup mixed with the water for that. :)

that's great so ill just up his dosage a little and continue with this treatment?

I just mix it all with different flavours of baby food to keep it interesting for him, he wolfs it down no bother.. hes always been greedy tho. ive caught him eating everything from bugs to baileys!

any ideas on foods to give him that'll help put the weight back on quickly?

Hi folks, squishy is doing much better his breathing has returned nearly to normal. I have however noticed him dragging his back legs on things and he struggles to climb.. he still moves around the room not to bad tho.

I'm not sure if it's HED or he is still just weak from his respitory problems.

If it is hed how quickly in your experiences does it get worse towards eventual paralysis?

It sounds like normal progressive HED. It shouldn't be painful and hopefully will progress slowly. Some never make it past the weak hind end others end up completely paralysed in the hind end. It's now up to you to help him with things he cannot do on his own bow like scratches and rubbibg itchy ears. Keep an eye out for penis plugs too :)

Ok thanks, he's still scratching with his hind legs so I think it's maby early stages. I've old man proofed his cage with ramps everywhere to save him from climbing.. feeling sad for him after all he's been through this past few weeks

Back