Scent marking and acceptance?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amlet543

So some of my boys (Armani and Romeo, and occasionally Cap) have gotten to a point in their socialization/bonding where they have started to scent mark my hands/arms. I haven't read up much on scent marking but I assume that this means they are beginning to accept me (especially when they go out of their way to do it).

I have 1 boy, Richie, who is still very shy with me (not too concerned as I've only had them for about 6 days) and he will pretty much only approach me if I have food or the others are crowding around me. While I was doing a spot check Armani came and marked my arm, shortly after Richie came to see what I was doing and happened to sniff right where Armani marked me. I noticed that he didn't jump back and run away like normal when he sniffed me.

My question is: Will letting a shy rat smell you when another has scent marked you assist with the bonding process? Would this help communicate to the shy one that the others accept you?

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this!

If they aren't neutered watch out. If they become hormonal you may become their "girlfriend" trust me, you don't want them thinking your arm is their "girlfriend". If they go to mount you - it hurts! If they are just walking over you and piddling - that's just rats. Some pee some don't. Just get a baby wipe and wipe it off asap. If these rats aren't in a colony together you don't want to be bitten by a hormonal rat for smelling like "the enemy". Boys can be tricky but very lovable.

Thanks for the heads up! My boys just drop a few drops as they crawl over me, 3 of them do it but all 5 of them live together. I'm finding they're not marking my skin as much and now tend to do it on my clothes which is kinda nice as I can just change after play time. None are neutered but they're approaching the time when they tend to start getting hormonal so tips like that is really helpful!

Marking is also a form of letting the Marker know that the area is a safe zone. It can also "claim" areas so I would make sure you clean yourself very well before going to new rats. You don't want to smell like another rat.

It can also "claim" areas so I would make sure you clean yourself very well before going to new rats. You don't want to smell like another rat.

ooh I didn't know this, good to know. I always thought that smelling like a rat, any rat, would make other rats feel like they could trust you.
never thought about it being a potential issue with you being more like claimed territory.

ooh I didn't know this, good to know. I always thought that smelling like a rat, any rat, would make other rats feel like they could trust you.
never thought about it being a potential issue with you being more like claimed territory.
Oh no, I've gotten a couple nasty bites from hormonal boys because I smelled like a rat that wasn't from their colony. You should always wash when going between cages. Should, but I still don't EXCEPT with Golana!! She is still out to get us at times and still protecting her children...

Back