Missing rat :( advice please.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristunnn

I put my rat cage outside for about an hour yesterday to do some cleaning and to give them some fresh air.
I have been particularly busy since and when I have just gone to feed them, I noticed one missing.
after seaching intensely since realising he was gone, I still can't find him and I dont even know if he went missing while outside. I feel like the worst rat owner ever. I swear he was in his cage lastnight when I fed them, but as I said, I've been particularly busy so I don't even know of I remember correctly. So now I'm worried that if he went missing outside, I may never see him again. the cage is secure, so I have absolutely no idea how he could have gotten out.
another concern is that I only have 2 rats, and with one missing, my remaining one is now alone.
do I wait and see if missing one turns up, or do I get a new friend for my remaining one?
He seems too lonely and is just sitting in a corner by himself, but if missing one turns up, I'm worried there won't be enough room in the cage for 3.
what do I do :( I'm so distraught. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57bef8bd5b2f1/Screenshot_20160825-232348.png?

definitely absolutely no way to get out of cage while they were outside?

If so then most likely got out while inside. Can you put the cage on the floor with the cagemate inside as "bait? do you have predatory animals like cats or dogs that might hurt him or scare him? is he a very social rat and will come running up to you?

the cage has no gaps big enough for them to get out.
They prefer each others company over mine so they weren't very social with me and I have only had them a few months.
we have a puppy, but he shows no interest in the rats and even when they were right in his face, all he ever did was sniff and walk off. he's always supervised when indoors so there's no way he's gotten to the rats.

whats the cagemate?
the cage is always on the floor, we do have children but they haven't been near the cage. but I have a feeling one of them may have been sneaky and opened one of the doors. but both of them would have escaped is this was the case?

i just have no idea how this happened and I just feel so much for them. He must be so frightened by himself with no food and water. And the remaining one is just spending all day sleeping since he hasn't got his friend :(

OK the kids might have done this then. Not so bad. Put down soft food on the ground (like baby cereal or porridge and a small dish of water to draw them out and put it near the cage. Keep the puppy away from that room. Look for any signs that food has been eaten. Once you know he's around we can start figuring out a way to catch the silly lad. The water is VERY important. Dehydration is a very real problem that can kill within 3 days. Food they can live a long time without. Rats are crepuscular (come out at dawn and dusk) so you might want to just lie down in the room with a book around this time and see if you hear him or see him.

in addition to the food and water ... put down a spare cage or box or house with some being that smells like his friend .... so he will eat and drink and might fall asleep feeling safe, also sprinkle flour n the floor around the food and water, if possible so you will know if he has been there and which direction he went.

He's found!! I seen him scurry across my back pergola. He has been out there for over 48 hours. He was living in the grass catcher of our lawn mower!... my husband was meant to mow the lawns yesterday... so lucky he didn't!
So happy to have him back, and the cage is NEVER going outside again 💙
8ab62f181f8d022673bef154bef0f592.jpg

Back