Teeth issues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse-crazy

Hi all,

My girl Sandy is approximately 2 years old. We've had her for about 16 months, and she was an adult when we got her.

Recently her teeth started coming in misaligned -- the bottom ones splayed and really long, the top ones worn down to one side. I took her to the vet and got the teeth trimmed last week, but it already looks like they are growing in wacky again.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do (besides giving hard foods) myself to help her. And if I will have to keep taking her to the vet to get them trimmed, is $180 (US) per procedure normal? That was for the visit, anesthesia (mask and injected, I think) and a pain meds, as one tooth had been cutting her cheek. What have you all done in this situation? I don't feel good about the anesthesia either, since she's no spring chicken...

Thanks for any advice!
Ariana

Unfortunately sometimes due to.a fall or with aging the ligament holding the 2 sides of the bottom jaw together gets weaker and malocclusion can develop and the teeth will need to be trimmed every 4-5 weeks. That said, $180 each time is very expensive. I have 2 gals that go in every 3-4 weeks for trims andbI worked out a deal with my vet since they were both young and I would have to do this all their lives. They get a tiny bit of gas (chemical restraint not surgical.plane) so the vet can grind down the teeth with a freelance like tool, also called burring.

How many teeth are malocclusion, just the one that grows into her cheek?

Good to hear that my vet visit was on the expensive side. I'll have to look around for other vets.

Well, both bottom teeth are splayed (like a V), so there is nothing flat to wear down the top teeth, which end up at a sharp angle. Does that make sense? In other words, all four teeth need to be cut.

Yes, the bottom ones are like that. Here's a quick sketch I did that show the shape. : )

Oh, and I'm not sure if it's related, but she always has porphyrin around one eye. The vet thought that maybe that one tooth had been irritating it from inside, but she still has it, although the tooth no longer rubs there...

Back