Bubbles losing weight, slight lethargy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

Sorry I haven't been active on here these past few months. x.x I wish I did more than come to you guys for medical advice, but one problem at a time I guess. Bubs is sick with some kind of LRI I think. She's kind of up and about too but she's a lot less squirmy when I pick her up and she has had instances of extreme porphyrin discharge from the eyes.

I mean I'm *assuming* this is a lower respiratory infection but she hasn't been making any raspy sounds like Pepper and others did in the past, and her lungs sound clear. Thoughts on how best to approach this? Bubs is a year old and I'm not ready to bury another baby so soon after Momo.. I'm still reeling from losing her. x_x

Have you taken her to a good rat vet?
She likely needs antibiotics (baytril + azithromycin - 10 mg/Ib) orally, twice a day and possibly Lasix

Have you taken her to a good rat vet?
She likely needs antibiotics (baytril + azithromycin - 10 mg/Ib) orally, twice a day and possibly Lasix

I'm gonna try to scrounge up the money tomorrow and get her in ASAP.

The reason I'm inquiring on here first is to see whether or not it's LRI related or not, or something like kidney failure. The only real symptoms I'm seeing with her is weight loss and lethargy. The discharge from the eyes might be an indicator I guess, but it was a one time thing.

EDIT: Discharge from the eyes still apparent. She's also eating weird when I give her treats and clenching her paw. Could a PT be possible? Rendering a video now. I really want her to bounce back from this ><

Last edited:
It could be PT, how old is she?

1y8m

I have her on antibiotics now and she's doing better. She definitely had trouble holding food before but my vet Fiona had a look at her paws while we were there and it seemed to be less of a coordination thing, and more of what appeared to be an injury. [her wrists were bent in a weird way]. She told me to call her if it persisted and she could try her on some anti-inflammatory meds. I haven't noticed her having any trouble holding food these past few days so -shrug-.... I'll monitor her and see if her condition worsens

I think she has a PT for sure. She can't hold food in her hand. I gave her a piece of macaroni and she basically had to flop onto her back to get it down.

But she's comfortable and happy, far as I can tell. Is this one of those "wait till it gets worse and consider euthanasia" sort of things?

I have two ratties (Sam and Squirrel) presently showing symptoms of pt
They are on prednisone (& baytril) and I managed to come up with some money to try them on cabergoine.
It seems to be helping. (http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pituitary_tumor.php)

I am also syringe feeding them once or twice a day with organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal .... as they aren't eating well by themselves and need the extra nutrition and fluids

I hope that Bubbles still has some good quality time with you

Last edited:
Anyone in US - custom and shipping reasons- needing Cabergoline. Doxy, bayril , amox, syringes ect and extra alternative type meds & supplements
, that truly needs then for $$ reasons please feel free to contact me. I also have a ton of toys, hammocks, fleece, binders of published rat health articles all for shipping cost only -
3 Double CN nation cages - and cat / ferret east coast would work better as we could meet rather than ship
I will be asking a reasonable fee for the cages .

Vetting info, current and past rat info and references required on the for sale items- I've already given away cages and cage accessories that my local rat animal control and rescue could take.

Mainly concerned with getting the rat meds to a needy rat saavy home that will use them.
email me at [email protected] in Maryland
Best regards

Jdarats
Will post in the proper place here as well - just wanted to give anyone with Known - suspect PT the opportunity to get the mes asap

Back