Rat has something in her eye constantly

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah9990

Mother rat
Ive had my hairless rat since February, she has been fine health wise, but recently she has been constantly keeping her eye closed or half closed, and then once she opens it, she has this huge chunk of light orange/red stuff in it that is the most foul smelling thing i have ever smelled, it has happened 3 times now. and it isnt just regular red stuff around the eyes ( i know what that is ) this is a huge chunk, its really gross and im not sure what it is, any ideas?

Update: I took a look at her eye and it's clear right now, but her eye seems to be slightly cloudy, it's more Grey than the other eye. I'm not too sure why, this seems to have happened recently because she was closing her eye before but it was never cloudy like this.
Her eye is not swollen at all, no liquid coming out and no bulging.

Last edited:
Nakies having no protection around their eyes are prone to getting debris under their eyelids where it rubs and abrades and if it's not taken care of causes infections and possibly a rupture of the eyeball. It's very painful as well. Do you have a decent rat vet? The best thing to do is have her lightly gassed down then the vet removes the debris and flushes the eye. You may need to give antibiotics and/or eye drops after as well.

What bedding are you keeping your nakie on? Does she live with furry rats?

I took in some rescues years ago and they had been kept on Boxo since they were born. They all had affected eyes from debris. This baby girl Yara had debris all under and over her left eye.
dec23nakiegirl.jpg

Here you can see the damage to the eye after the debris was removed. Yara was mostly lucky she regained her sight but it took a month of drops and oral antibiotics

I keep her in paper bedding, or just using some towels in the cage that i replace every day.ive taken her in to a vet to have her degloved tail amputated and they were pretty good, so I might be heading back there. She has been opening her eye recently alot! But the eye is more Grey then the other one, and it looks to me like a cataract. Is there anything I can do to help her with that?

Sorry I forgot to put this in the other post, I keep her with 2 furred rats in the same cage, she's my only hairless though.

Back