Might have a job lined up at Petland, but I'm kind of weary

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

I really, really need to start working - because vet bills are becoming really inconvenient.. I've had to borrow money several times and paying it back has been so difficult because there's always a new medical issue I have to take care of.

So needless to say, I really feel like it would be in my best interest - and the interest of my girls to take this job. On the flip side, I'm not sure what the risk factor is in terms of bringing home airborn ailments. Has anyone here worked at a pet store while owning rats? And if so, how do you avoid keeping the illnesses carried by pet store rats away from your home?

There have been many people on here that have worked at pet stores. I believe a safe practice is not to let your pet near your for a period of time (hour), shower, and change clothes - keeping those clothes away from your rats. That would be my suggestions. You can pick up stuff just going to the vet.

Lots of people have worked at pet stores and had rats. I would wait a couple of hours before going near your rats if you handled rats at the store.

Thanks you two. :) I kind of figured the same rules of > go to pet store > shower would apply here, but I'm always cautious when it comes to pet stores (for good reason lol)

According to ratguide, viruses can live on surfaces for 3 hours so .... wait 3 hours before going home.
I believe that viruses can live forever in your nose so you will need to clean your nose out.
Some people say blowing your nose is good enough .... years ago when I had to do a full quarantine, I cleaned my nose out with rubbing alcohol before going home.

Here is a quote from the ratguide in an article on quarantine re SDA -
must be followed by waiting at least 3 hours before returning to your main colony. Sanitizing your hands, blowing your nose, and washing your clothes will minimize the risk of infection.
http://ratguide.com/health/viruses/sda.php

I have been told in the past to also shower and change my clothes.
and in the article about quarantine, the rat guide says
upon returning to your home, shed your clothes outside and immediately shower.
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/quarantine.php

Back