Rapid heartbeat or fast breathing, both/neither?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
RAPID HEARTBEAT OR FAST BREATHING, BOTH/NEITHER? my ~24 mos old girl has been on baytril for URI for 19days now (with doxy for 5 days, I'm waiting for an order for more and will add back the doxy when it arrives) Is she breathing fast in this video, or is that her heart beating fast/hard, or is it both? What you see in the video is not the way she is all the time. She was sitting on that ledge for about 3 mins before I got the camera and took the video, and she was there for several minutes more before she got into a hammock. I've had other rats who did this, and they weren't sick at all. I've also had a rat who did this, and he had a cardiomyopathy. I don't think this is hiccups but I guess it could be...?

https://youtu.be/YquGIASa188

Looks like she is gasping a little (looks like her mouth in open) and using her accessory muscles to breath. You might want to try adding lasix and/or theophylline.

I would say heavy / fast breathing. She doesn't really have that "jolt" that I usually see with hiccups. And since I can see her sides moving, I am guessing breathing over heart. This is a lot like what's going on with Duke.
Is she still doing it / is it happening a lot?
What's the atmosphere like - has it been hot or high humidity?

Last edited:
I would say heavy / fast breathing. She doesn't really have that "jolt" that I usually see with hiccups. And since I can see her sides moving, I am guessing breathing over heart. This is a lot like what's going on with Duke.
Is she still doing it / is it happening a lot?
What's the atmosphere like - has it been hot or high humidity?

It's been hot but I put the air conditioner in their room and it's hot at all humid, not yet (might be Sat)
yeh it's not hiccups, it's constant now but it's slowed down some.
I added amox to her baytril and I have doxy coming tomorrow in the mail.

I was going to take her to the vet tomorrow but the traffic is going to be horrible with the long weekend coming up here for Memorial day, and I don't think the added stress of being stuck in a stuffy cab is a good idea, so I moved her appt to next Tuesday

maybe by then the meds will have kicked in and she'll be a lot better.
I think a friend is bringing over lasix and pred just in case it's needed, and other than that, there's not much more the vet would do anyway.

It's weird that she never had any chest noises, but I am really starting to think my hearing is impaired.
:/

I didn't hear anything with my old girl Buttercup but the vet said her lungs sounded rough, or was it harsh? something bad anyway lol
and I never heard anything that seemed abnormal to me
:/

is Duke on meds?

Ya I just brought up heat and humidity because hotter / more humid air has less oxygen, so it's harder to breathe... It's been hot and humid here, have to combat it constantly. :|

I totally understand, a stuffy cab doesn't sound like it would help.

Duke hasn't had any audible chest noises either. His x-rays showed something around his lungs - presumably fluid so he was diagnosed with pneumonia. He's been on Baytril, Doxy, Metacam & Theophylline for 2 weeks.

I hope Pippa feels better soon. It's always so hard to tell what exactly is going on.

a bit of an update, I got her on doxy with the baytril, it's been er 3 days now and she's a lot more active, so that's some progress I think

I still see her heart beating fast sometimes though so if that continues I'll either try to get the heart meds and do a trial with those
or take her to vet Tuesday

Back