Our rats ate veggies from the Listeria Recall list. =(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MomRat

So, trying not to panic here, but we definitely fed our fuzzers frozen veggies from the current massive Listeria recall list. =( And they were straight from the freezer, so no heating to kill it. The only symptom on the list I've seen that would be visible in a rat is diarrhea, so I guess we just wait and watch? Does anyone know what the recommended antibiotic would be for it? Or if it can be tested for? I'm grumpy that we even bought it, I'm pretty sure we purchased it AFTER the recall date, it shouldn't have even been on the shelf...

Trying to not worry about me, too, as I ate some, and we are trying to get pregnant, but at least what I had was cooked...

Oh wow. I can sure understand your concern. Hopefully, your bag wasn't affected and your rats won't even get sick.
I wonder if getting them to drink a lot might help to flush out their system. So lots of watermelon and other melons, fruits and maybe even soy milk or gatorade.

I just had this concern with my rats, I am pretty sure the veggies they ate were NOT on the recall list
but not long after having some, they were doing owie stretches

so I googled listeria and apparently a healthy person or a healthy pet, is unlikely to have serious illness from exposure to listeria

it's those with chronic illnesses etc who are more at risk

if I remember correctly even when they do get sick, it's just for a few days and most recover just fine

I am pretty sure there were no antibiotics listed- I am going to have to go back thru my history to find that page and have to run out right now but will do that later

UPDATE found it: http://www.about-listeria.com/listeria_symptoms_risks/#.V0SE--Trd_k

in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to offer more water or canned pumpkin, those were the suggestions I got.
My girl with the owies is ok now

Last edited:
Back