Babies! Need advice :-)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanya

Rat Enthusiast
Hello! I work at a pet store and today someone dropped off 2 females. One with babies. They had been on the side of the road in a cage that was damaged and dented. Unfortunately a snake breeder that also works at said pet store 'claimed' them, knowing very well that I take rats in need. He told me I could not have them. So, I went above him. Long story short, the mediator and manager said I could have the mother and babies, and he could have the other female so he could breed her for snake food. I was FUMING.
Anyways they're safe at my house now. I will attach a picture below. How old do they look? There are 5 of them + mom. The mom is a great mom. They also appear to have mites. Is kitten revolution safe? How do I get the bugs off of the babies? It's more of a white 'dandruff' looking stuff. My mom said she also saw bugs on mom's foot. Thanks, guys. I did the best I could...

Mites you cannot see with the naked eye, just the scabs. Mom would have to have visible bugs, so I wouldn't treat unless you see a lot of scabs on mom or actual lice moving around.

Lucky babies, I am so very sorry about the other girl :(

The white stuff you see could be flakes from when their hair starts to appear. Six weeks is the safe age for revolution and you don't want to give it to mom until they are done nursing. Perhaps they bugs are just something that climbed into the broken cage from the road side.

Maybe you can compare your babies to pictures here
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33831&highlight=meet+golana

Maybe around 5 days? I'm bad at this. I'll insert a pic from today :)
I am in love..I don't know if they'll go to another home or not lol.

I cannot tell, do they have fur yet or are they just dark? If no fur yet you're probably right. Furry, I'd say around 7-9 days. They are adorable - congrats!

So, babies are great!! SO friendly and brux everytime they're out. Question is, two of them seem to only have 1 eye. It looks like it's just closed all the time. Is there anything I should do?
In the meantime, here's a pic of momma and the babies!
They are all dumbo, and the berkshires have curly hair while the 2 hooded do not :)

Back