Are they playing or fighting?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two rats an older fancy rat (Maggie) and a younger dumbo rat (Annie). They have separate cages and have been slowly introduced to each other to where I fell comfortable to have them out together, however I'm getting them a bigger cage to share, and I've been putting them in each other's cages to get used to it, however they still either fight or rough house. Maggie and them 'tussle' for a moment or two then Annie, the smaller one, gets still while Maggie cleans her. I'm just worried for Annie.

When I got Annie, I also got her sister Ophelia, however last week Ophelia passed away do to breathing problems. I want Annie to have a friend again, as well as Maggie to have a friend.
Any advice?

Sounds like normal play behavior to me... They can be kinda rough, so even if you are hearing some squeaks, you probably don't have anything to worry about. If someone is bleeding afterwards, you may want to back up and re-evaluate their social situation...

Can you get us a video? But if Annie is not afraid of Maggie, then it's probably play and also Maggie teaching Annie proper rattie etiquette.

Sounds normal, if there is no screaming or rat balling. No bleeding as mentioned by someone else sounds they they are just working things out. Do they snuggle together after these "tussles"?

Back