OTC meds to help with pneumonia?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawntheSnipe

Good evening all,

Has anyone had a good experience with any over the counter meds to help with pneumonia?

I came home from a three-week-long mission yesterday evening and my poor older girl Lil looked awful. I had my husband take her to the vet this morning and she has pneumonia. The vet put her on Baytril and albuterol, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can give her like Sudafed or guafenisin (sp.?) to assist with breaking up her congestion. I've looked through the respiratory meds section on the Rat Guide, but I'd like to hear a little more from experienced keepers before dosing her.

She is a little over 24 months old, and does not have other health issues that I'm aware of.

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking about taking her back in tomorrow, because I was expecting her to get doxycyline as well as Baytril. I'll have to ask about Lasix--I've never had that prescribed to any of my rats before.

My husband got the impression that the vet wasn't expecting Lil to make it. Her breathing is very labored, but she is eating baby food and drinking Ensure pretty well, and she's even grooming some. I'm not giving up on her as long as she's still fighting.

just a word of caution about antihistamines. They are good for colds (URIs) and allergies but not for pneumonia.

I made my pneumonia worse by taking claritin, which is not a very strong antihistamine, benadryl is a strong anti histamine!

it dries things out and makes mucus THICKER and stickier, which makes it harder to get out of the lungs

a second antibiotic would help, as was already mentioned. the combo of baytril and doxy is used most often.

a cool mist humidifier may help.

albuterol (inhaler) can sometimes help by opening up airways but it can also cause the symptoms it's meant to treat, so use with caution.
always consult your vet before using any OTC meds

Thanks Petunia. I'm glad I picked up a humidifier yesterday--we had a crisis earlier when she got mucus stuck in her windpipe. I took her and stood over the humidifier, and it cleared after a couple of minutes. Thickened secretions is definitely not what we're going for!

My vet office has a staff meeting on Friday mornings, so I'm standing by to call for an appointment. Lil is almost perky this morning (I left the cage door open after bring her some baby food--when I stepped back into the room she was on top of the cage), so I'm feeling hopeful!

Thanks to everyone for your replies so far!

Keeping fingers and tails crossed here. Another good med to add to the combo if the doxy isn't cutting it is zithromax. Our "big guns" here is a combo of baytril and zithro. That has pulled our rats from the brink of death.

She's slowly improving--putting on weight and seeming stronger. I hope this is doing the trick, but if she's not greatly improved by Monday, I'll have my husband take her in again and ask about Zithromax.

My vet seems pretty convinced she has a Pasteurella infection, though I don't know why considering they've never done a culture from any of my rats...

Back