New 10 month old boy has not been with other rats.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rats en folie

I need help from someone who has already been in this situation.

I just adopted a 10 month old sweet boy! Very loving and kissy. The only problem is that he's been a lone rat since they got him 8 months ago. He's currently in quarantine in his own cage. I was wondering how would I go about introducing him to my boys??

I've never adopted a rat who was a lone rat. Is it the same process as any other intro??

yes, it is the same process
I have found that some rats are immediately overjoyed to be with other rats while others are frightened and anxious.
Some have good social skills with other rats and others were taken from mom too young and kept alone so didn't have the opportunity to learn social skills ....

Here are the established gradual intro steps http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368

Last edited:
I need help from someone who has already been in this situation.

I just adopted a 10 month old sweet boy! Very loving and kissy. The only problem is that he's been a lone rat since they got him 8 months ago. He's currently in quarantine in his own cage. I was wondering how would I go about introducing him to my boys??

I've never adopted a rat who was a lone rat. Is it the same process as any other intro??

yep same process
it's good this boy was with other rats for the first 2 mos, that helps a lot. he may just need some gentle reminders of how to behave with other rats

I adopted a boy who had lived alone for a year. I intro'ed him to a group with 2 intact boys, and he ended up needing to be neutered
but after that, the intro's weren't too bad (I've had harder ones with girls LOL)
It will depend somewhat on the rats he's going in with,too

My resident rats very gently but firmly taught the new boy the ropes. so that helped, they were a bit older too.
After that, this previous loner boy was so close with his buddies, he formed very close relationships with other rats.

Back