Baby rat sudden difficulty eating solids.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hey rat community!
I just adopted a new baby rat who is approaching 6 weeks old. She was eating fine until I noticed this morning she was having a hard time eating hard foods. I could tell she's hungry but chewing seems to be a problem. I made her some oatmeal and she gobbled it up quickly. She is still active and alert. Anyone experience this before? I'm worried.

Thank you as always!
-M.

@lilspaz68 hi! Yes...she was eating solids with no problems just last night. This morning different story....really weird.

I checked her teeth and it's so difficult to tell because her little mouth is so tiny! She is just under 6 weeks old.

As for smell, I don't smell anything.

:( So frustrating not knowing what's happening.

I guess I'll take her to the vet in the morn and check out her mouth and little body!

thank you so much lilspaz68....you are always very helpful. I'll let you know what I find!

-M.

@lilspaz68 @jorats

Hi guys! Well, I just had to post the results just in case it helps anyone else in the future.

I went to the vet.....drum roll please......
we found out she knocked her bottom teeth out! She must've hit her face on something whilst wrestling and playing...but she only has her top teeth which explains why she hasn't been able to eat hard foods!

I was told that the bottom teeth will grow back, so for the time being I have to feed her soft foods. It's a little rough as I know they have fast metabolisms and needs to eat throughout the day....so it's going to be an interesting next couple of weeks. I will have to separate the babies during feeding time so the other one doesn't eat her soft foods.

But I'm really happy she is otherwise okay. Cute little nugget~!

Thanks again!
-M.
:bow::bow::bow:

Awwww!! Poor little possum no wonder! I suppose it's a better outcome than having something more complicated like bowel or organ issues. Those little teethsies will grow back in no time. Get well soon little one.

I certainly hope they grow back... One of my guys broke his off too and I was told they don't always grow back (but that vet, let's just say is no longer our vet) - I was so happy to see them growing back... Babies can have the soft food since they are still growing no need to separate. Just give them baby food or baby cereal mixed with original strawberry ensure... Your little guy will be one happy camper with all the extras he'll be getting... Glad it was nothing serious...

@lilspaz68 @jorats

Hi guys! Well, I just had to post the results just in case it helps anyone else in the future.

I went to the vet.....drum roll please......
we found out she knocked her bottom teeth out! She must've hit her face on something whilst wrestling and playing...but she only has her top teeth which explains why she hasn't been able to eat hard foods!

I was told that the bottom teeth will grow back, so for the time being I have to feed her soft foods. It's a little rough as I know they have fast metabolisms and needs to eat throughout the day....so it's going to be an interesting next couple of weeks. I will have to separate the babies during feeding time so the other one doesn't eat her soft foods.

But I'm really happy she is otherwise okay. Cute little nugget~!

Thanks again!
-M.
:bow::bow::bow:

You can soak their lab blocks in water to turn it into a mush and add baby food, ensure or other tasty items. It keeps really well in the fridge. She may be able to handle scrambled eggs too.

Wow! Poor little girl. She's a trooper though! Yep, I would soak up her blocks for a while until it grows back. Also be aware that her top teeth can become overly grown since the bottom one is not there to keep them aligned.

As others mentioned, soak blocks in cool water
No need to separate, just give them a big dish of block mush at least twice a day (morning and night)
They may also like cooked cereal, cooked quinoa, organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal
and soft vegs like cooked peas, cooked & mashed sweet potato, cooked & mashed carrot

Hope her teeth soon grow back

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I put the blocks in chicken broth to give it some flavor and she is eating it! :) I have to separate them, because if I don't, the other one will eat all of it and the one without teeth will be left with little food! ;) so far so good! Fingers crossed her teeth grow in soon!

thank you again!

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I put the blocks in chicken broth to give it some flavor and she is eating it! :) I have to separate them, because if I don't, the other one will eat all of it and the one without teeth will be left with little food! ;) so far so good! Fingers crossed her teeth grow in soon!

thank you again!

aww good thing she is eating it.

You don't need to add anything to add flavor, rats actually like the taste of lab blocks, wet or dry.

I would suggest *not* using chicken broth, though, as it is very high in sodium, even the ones with reduced sodium.

added sodium is not good for rats. it will also make her very thirsty, so make sure she's got a full water bottle nearby.

If you really think she needs added flavor, which I doubt, you could maybe try pureeing some veggies and added that to some water.
It may not seem tasty to us, but it is very tasty to a rat!

How is the little one doing? Any sign of those teeth yet? You can grind up the oxbow (or whatever you use) and mix with water. It doesn't blend well with ensure though unless you add it with powdered soy formula.

@dspch911 I was worried because she wasn't eating the block food soaked in water....BUT just last night she jumped on my shoulder and I heard a faint noise. It was her bruxing! And bruxing can't happen without both teeth! Looks like they are growing in! So happy... She is such a cute rattie with so much personality. Thank you again guys!

@dspch911 I was worried because she wasn't eating the block food soaked in water....BUT just last night she jumped on my shoulder and I heard a faint noise. It was her bruxing! And bruxing can't happen without both teeth! Looks like they are growing in! So happy... She is such a cute rattie with so much personality. Thank you again guys!

Did you get a chance to look at and see if she has little teeth in there? :toothy2:

@dspch911 Her mouth is too small to see. She squeaks when I try to look! But she is eating normally now and bruxing like a maniac....so I think it's safe to say she has both sets of teeth now! :D Yay!

@dspch911 Her mouth is too small to see. She squeaks when I try to look! But she is eating normally now and bruxing like a maniac....so I think it's safe to say she has both sets of teeth now! :D Yay!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:​

Back