Dermatitis?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitchiq

When I adopted my new boys, I was informed of two things:

1) They, their mom, and all of their siblings are very sneezy, have a habit of sneezing more when they were nervous, were treated with antibiotics, were cleared by a vet of any infection or anything. (I'm just giving medical background this isn't an issue for them)

2) They had dermatitis that they were treated for, cured of, but were still recovering from in terms of fur loss and the like.

I'm just wondering if there's any way to help with their recovery. Mario had a worse case, so his scabs took a little longer to heal, and he still has a few. Angus doesn't have any scabs that I can see, but his case was much milder Their skin is much better than when I first brought them home though, when they were still in the earlier stages of recovery. I used to find little scabs with tiny tufts of fur from when they were grooming themselves and presumably scratching them off. Now I'm just wondering what I can do to help restore their fur on their backs, if anything at all. It's just thinner there; I don't know if it's something that will solve itself with time, or if there's any oils/vitamins/etc. that I could be giving them to help them along.

Were these guys treated for mites? Dermatitis is rare in rats and if they all had it then you can bet it's mites or lice.
You could give them some coconut oil to help with their coat now.

Were these guys treated for mites? Dermatitis is rare in rats and if they all had it then you can bet it's mites or lice.
You could give them some coconut oil to help with their coat now.

When I was interacting with my two boys and the rest of their family, I only noticed the thinning fur on the back/scabs on the four boys. I asked, and the foster woman told me that they'd had dermatitis that they'd been treated for and were recovering from. It could have been mites or lice though.

For the coconut oil, can I just take a little bit in my fingers, let it soften/melt, and then kind of just massage it in?

I would take a wee bit, melt it, and then use a syringe to drizzle it on their back. It'll get to the skin better

Sounds good! I already have a leftover syringe from when I first got my girls and they were on Baytril for URI's; I knew it'd come in handy to hang on to the spare the vet gave me! I wonder if it'll make Angus and Mario smell like pancakes; I cook all my pancakes with coconut oil. I hope my boys don't mind smelling like my breakfast for a little while, lol!

Back