Chattering teeth

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muffin1

I am the proud owner of my first rat. She's 5ish months old. Lately I'm noticing her teeth chattering. It's usually when I hold her and pet her. She'll fall asleep on me and while I pet her, she quivers a little and her teeth chatter. Anyone else experience this?

Lol adorable! Shes enjoying herself and loving your company immensely by the sounds of it

Yep - called bruxing

Wait until you see her boggle! Her eyes will look as though they are popping outside of her head and vibrating and it also means she is very happy :flower:

Lol adorable! Shes enjoying herself and loving your company immensely by the sounds of it

Yep - called bruxing

Wait until you see her boggle! Her eyes will look as though they are popping outside of her head and vibrating and it also means she is very happy :flower:
OMG!!! Really???? Because she does that all the time when I hold her and scratch her!! LOL! I was freaked because I thought she had some neurological condition! It's like her eyes are going to pop out of her head and her teeth will be ground down to nubs. I feel very loved now! 😍😍

Hahaha! Yes I remember how freaked out I was when I first experienced it lol

Their teeth grow at such a fast rate that grinding helps keep them down

Sounds like a very lucky and extremely joyful rattie!

Hahaha! Yes I remember how freaked out I was when I first experienced it lol

Their teeth grow at such a fast rate that grinding helps keep them down

Sounds like a very lucky and extremely joyful rattie!

Thank you! She is loved SOOOOOO much! But last night she started to be very skittish. Another poster thought maybe because I accidentally stepped on her last night. On her foot, I think. She's done everything to get away from me!! I'm not certain as what to do at this point?? Any suggestions?

Thank you! She is loved SOOOOOO much! But last night she started to be very skittish. Another poster thought maybe because I accidentally stepped on her last night. On her foot, I think. She's done everything to get away from me!! I'm not certain as what to do at this point?? Any suggestions?

Just time to forget what happened is best.

Can I ask why she is free-range and also if you have considered getting her a same-sex friend?

I would absolutely get her a girly buddy (or two or three!). Its really sad (but often assumed) that a close human bond makes up for not having other rats around but its not the case

She will one hundred percent get depressed and be far more succeptable to illness and behavioral problems if you dont get her a friend

Rats need other rats

I would absolutely get her a girly buddy (or two or three!). Its really sad (but often assumed) that a close human bond makes up for not having other rats around but its not the case

She will one hundred percent get depressed and be far more succeptable to illness and behavioral problems if you dont get her a friend

Rats need other rats

Clairybell is 100% right; I mentioned the same thing on your introduction thread. She seems very sweet, but rats definitely need buddies! Especially if you're gone all day. Then she's left alone by herself with no one to play/snuggle with.

I just wanted to add that rats will brux for all kinds of reasons, from content, happy to scared and lonely.

Glad this was mentioned, as I was about to. Rats will also brux when they are in extreme pain (I see this frequently with injured rodents that come through my wildlife facility). Assessing the situation of the animal in question can usually determine the most probable reason for their bruxing. While bruxing during a snuggle with their people and/or rattie friends is likely not attributed to pain, it is important for rat owners to know that there can be numerous reasons for this behaviour.

Back