New to the rat community

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muffin1

Hi everyone! I went to the pet store to purchase a couple mice. I was introduced to a rat by the young kid who was helping me with what I needed for the mice. I held her and was somewhat freaked out by her tail. I gave her back to the kid then went about my business. A week later, I was back in the store and once again the young kid handed me the rat to hold. I don't know what happened that second time but after her snuggling up to my neck and climbing on my shoulders I knew I had to give her a forever and happy home.
Her name is Muffin and a happy home she does have!! I have had dogs and cats before and I have to say, Muffin is my favorite! I think it's because she will only live a few short years and I feel like I have to give her all the TLC I can. She is sooooooo spoiled too. She eats human food, edamame is her favorite, sleeps in my bed with me, runs around the house all day like a crazy person and is more curious than any cat I've known. She's a Level 4 food hoarder (����) and it's so much fun to give her food and watch her hop under the couch then run back to me for more!! It's not so much fun to pick up all her food under the couch every night though. Ha. She licks me and falls asleep in my arms when I scratch her tiny head. I took her to the vet 3 days after I brought her home. She checked out happy and healthy. Yesterday we were back at the vet because I noticed her "grunting". Not knowing anything about rats, I thought it was her cute way of telling me she loved me. After I Googled it, I read it could be a respiratory infection. Sure enough. 2 antibiotics and $157 later, we were back home. Soooooo, if your rats start to grunt or make little pig noises, please take them to the vet to ensure their good health!
I'm looking forward to posting and gaining knowledge on this site!! ����. #rodentlove

Aw, I'm glad you found Muffin! She sounds like a sweetheart! I'm sure she's very happy with you, but rats should always have another rat buddy so that they can have the rat-to-rat relationship that we, their humans, can't provide them. I would find her another nice little lady to live with so that she has someone to groom and snuggle with. Also, a lot of human foods can be bad for rats! Anything too fatty, too salty, too sugary, or too high in protein can be bad for their little systems and actually cut down on their "few short years". Most people also recommend spaying for female rats because they're extremely prone to mammary tumors. Both of my first two girls, Henrietta and Penelope, eventually had to be PTS ("put to sleep") because of inoperable tumors that spaying probably could have prevented. It's a hard, scary lesson to learn, so I'd like to let you know now, just so that you have the info!

Again, Muffin seems so sweet; I'm glad you found her! Post pics of her cute little face so we can all fawn over her! :wink:

Welcome to the rat shack. Muffin sounds wonderful. Rats however are a social animal, meaning they really do need same sex buddies. Rats also have very specific nutritional needs, unlike dogs and humans. I hope you do the proper research on their nutritional needs and feed her accordingly. Also, be aware that rats always pee where they walk, it's how they identify their area, some more than others so it may not be a good idea to give her free range all the time but that's up to you if you don't mind cleaning all the time. ;)

Lovely story! Muffin sounds like a little doll - any pics? :cheeky:

One way to ensure she has the best life possible is to get her a little female buddy

Low protein foods too because protein can be hard on their kidneys

Welcome!

Back