PEW Appreciation Thread?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitchiq

I tried to start one of these on goosemoose, but it didn't exactly take off :lol:

I feel like PEWs are little unappreciated by the rest of the world; those ruby-red eyes that I find so endearing are seen as odd and off-putting (for some reason).

So let's have a PEW appreciation thread! Pictures, stories, and anything else welcome!

I have 2 special PEW's right now. Mom Mira (micro-eyed feeder I took in with her 1 day old litter) and Pele her special little daughter who was injured up at my mom's place (wildie rat, unbeknownst to me, was living in my mom's rural home) and took offense at other rats invading his territory. Curious little Pele stuck her nose through the bars and he bit down and yanked. At first I thought she woulnd't make it, then she had other weird issues. At this piont she's growing but it looks like her skull was fractured, and her teeth are now misaligned, possibly rotten. She was waiting until she was big enough and I had enough money to get her skull x-rayed and go on from there. Pele is my Special Girl.

Jan%2030%2016%20Pele%20at%2010%20weeks.jpg~original

Momma Mira, took on her own litter at a young age and also 11 more orphans for a grand total of 20 babies she brought up :) She did a fantastic job, they all survived with a few scares, but they will all be either staying or heading off to new forever homes if they aren't already in them. :)

Dec%206%2015%20Mira%202.jpg~original

Nov%2022%2015%20Mira%20feeding%20her%20extended%20family%202.jpg~original

To be honest pews creeper me out and when I plucked my first rats from the feeder bin I avoided getting one. Then shortly after our black hooded girl had 9 babies and 2 turned out to be pews.. I love these two boys more than life! The universe has a funny way of giving you what you never knew you wanted but needed :)

piZap_1454622181881.jpg

I have 2 special PEW's right now. Mom Mira (micro-eyed feeder I took in with her 1 day old litter) and Pele her special little daughter who was injured up at my mom's place (wildie rat, unbeknownst to me, was living in my mom's rural home) and took offense at other rats invading his territory. Curious little Pele stuck her nose through the bars and he bit down and yanked. At first I thought she woulnd't make it, then she had other weird issues. At this piont she's growing but it looks like her skull was fractured, and her teeth are now misaligned, possibly rotten. She was waiting until she was big enough and I had enough money to get her skull x-rayed and go on from there. Pele is my Special Girl.

Jan%2030%2016%20Pele%20at%2010%20weeks.jpg~original

Momma Mira, took on her own litter at a young age and also 11 more orphans for a grand total of 20 babies she brought up :) She did a fantastic job, they all survived with a few scares, but they will all be either staying or heading off to new forever homes if they aren't already in them. :)

Dec%206%2015%20Mira%202.jpg~original

Nov%2022%2015%20Mira%20feeding%20her%20extended%20family%202.jpg~original

Aww! I've seen you share Pele's story before; what a brave little girl! And Mira too! Between mother and daughter there's a lot of PEW beauty :thumbup:

To be honest pews creeper me out and when I plucked my first rats from the feeder bin I avoided getting one. Then shortly after our black hooded girl had 9 babies and 2 turned out to be pews.. I love these two boys more than life! The universe has a funny way of giving you what you never knew you wanted but needed :)

Those are some snuggly PEWs, what handsome cuties! My first girls were hoodies from the feeder bin too! Even though they were hoodies, I have a soft spot for PEWs. Whenever I drop by the pet store for more dog food or anything, they're always the only ones waiting for homes and it's all I can do to keep from snatching them out of their tiny aquariums and bringing them home. RatShack, keep me strong while I wait on some rescue boys! :salut:

I don't have any PEWs right now, unless you include Siamese, and some times people do LOL

here's Paige, then Norry (smeeze) and then in that group of 7 girls, there are two PEWS, Tilly and Tessa, a daughter and mom pair,
the next photo is Dre, another smeeze
and then Tessa

PudgyPaige.jpg

42298beb-7a32-4291-a60d-53f6ad6b833f.jpg

my first 7 rats.JPG

dre cheerio.jpg

Tessaexplores.jpg

OMG - the pic of them all eating together off the plate :kisses: loved that photo!!!
aw thank you
those are my very first rats, got them back in Feb 2009!
that's Aly and Lyla, the two black and white girls, they had been neglected and abused and were unpredictable biters, they could not be handled at all

then here's the beige girls, Mumma B and two of her daughters Clair and Phaedra
and the PEWS are momma and daughter Tessa and Tilly, who were abandoned on Valentine's day in a snow bank in a fish tank, Tessa had just given birth so Tilly was a newborn pinky. Luckily someone found them before they all froze to death.

yeh, they all got along great! Aly and Lyla had to live in a separate cage because I couldn't put my hands any where near them but they would climb into a plastic ferret tube to be transported out of their cage to play with their buddies.
All I had to do was say "let's go play" and they would climb into the tube and wait for me to lift them out
When I said, "it's time to go home" they would go and get in the tube again and wait for me to carry it over to their cage

such smart girls! I loved them so much even though I could never hold them

aw thank you
those are my very first rats, got them back in Feb 2009!
that's Aly and Lyla, the two black and white girls, they had been neglected and abused and were unpredictable biters, they could not be handled at all

then here's the beige girls, Mumma B and two of her daughters Clair and Phaedra
and the PEWS are momma and daughter Tessa and Tilly, who were abandoned on Valentine's day in a snow bank in a fish tank, Tessa had just given birth so Tilly was a newborn pinky. Luckily someone found them before they all froze to death.

yeh, they all got along great! Aly and Lyla had to live in a separate cage because I couldn't put my hands any where near them but they would climb into a plastic ferret tube to be transported out of their cage to play with their buddies.
All I had to do was say "let's go play" and they would climb into the tube and wait for me to lift them out
When I said, "it's time to go home" they would go and get in the tube again and wait for me to carry it over to their cage

such smart girls! I loved them so much even though I could never hold them

Such cute ratties! Makes me mad to hear what happens to rats before they're rescued; some are treated like they're disposable, like they aren't even a real animal. Abandoned in a snowbank in an aquarium on Valentine's Day? Who took a pregnant/nursing momma and thought that it would be fine to just leave her freezing in the snow? Even dropping them off at a pet store is better than that. I mean, thank god someone found them and they ended up with you, the lucky ladies.

I know this is a PEW appreciation thread but I just found a few good photos of Aly and Lyla I wanted to share

The first one on the back of a sofa is before they came to live with me,
the next one is Aly in ferret tube I used to transport them from place to place, and the last on is Lyla playing hide and seek with my daughter's cat Sheldon

she'd come over and kind of lunge at the bars, not in an aggressive way, but more as if to say "here I am!!"
then when Sheldon saw her, she'd run off and hide, and he'd be looking and looking, checking the different levels and the front and then the side of the cage
and all of a sudden, she'd reappear in a different spot, and lunge at the bars again, t announce that "here I am" again LOL

it was hilarious to watch

aly and lyla.jpg

Aly in the tube.jpg

LylawarningSheldontostayback.jpg

I know this is a PEW appreciation thread but I just found a few good photos of Aly and Lyla I wanted to share

The first one on the back of a sofa is before they came to live with me,
the next one is Aly in ferret tube I used to transport them from place to place, and the last on is Lyla playing hide and seek with my daughter's cat Sheldon

she'd come over and kind of lunge at the bars, not in an aggressive way, but more as if to say "here I am!!"
then when Sheldon saw her, she'd run off and hide, and he'd be looking and looking, checking the different levels and the front and then the side of the cage
and all of a sudden, she'd reappear in a different spot, and lunge at the bars again, t announce that "here I am" again LOL

it was hilarious to watch

Cuties! Aly reminds me a little bit of my black hooded, Henrietta (rip); her hood kind of flowed onto her shoulders too! And that little game of hide and seek is adorable; I love to see how rats will interact with other animals. (as long as every animal involved is safe and comfy) When I had my girls, sometimes I would bring them downstairs and let them run around under a blanket on the couch while I watched tv or read. Once or twice we let our dog meet them from a bit of a distance. She was looking at them a little bit too intently for me, like she would do something if we weren't there watching her, so the rats and the dog didn't really mix again haha.

Alright from top to bottom:
Milton(RIP)
Mishka
Marlowe
Mordecai
Meison.
Milton was my beautiful boy :heart:

Now those are some beautiful PEWs if I ever saw them! :kisses: And I love the "M" names - very cute! How many rats do you have? I can't help wondering where all those "M's" came from, lol.

Sorry to hear that Milton isn't with you anymore; he looks like he was a handsome little sweetie and he was lucky to spend his life with you!

I love our PEW Vanilla. She's full of character and personality! We also happen to have a PEW Guinea pig which is kinda rare because most often white GPigs are lethal but our little guy Winter is awesome. Pics attached.
9c8ec7d1ca7d46d8842213cc3b6b0a3f.jpg

eeef6e9c29d6bcc37882c4e539f66cba.jpg

Back